• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • The fact that action buttons are hidden under a Workflow dropdown is a disgrace and needs to be fixed. The Interwebs direct me to the home directory, but that cannot be found in any of the ways it directs me to go. Please help.

The fact that action buttons are hidden under a Workflow dropdown is a disgrace and needs to be fixed. The Interwebs direct me to the home directory, but that cannot be found in any of the ways it directs me to go. Please help.

Chris Allen February 26, 2016

I am trying to add transitions onto a workflow, but the issue view only allows two transition action buttons, while hiding additional transition action buttons under a painstakingly not user-friendly Workflow dropdown. I've searched all over the Internet, and haven't discovered a way to do it. I've read it's in the home directory, but there's not even a way that I can get there with the system I have–an additional horrible user feature. I'm dealing with regulatory and compliance transitions that I'm trying to set up, so it's mandatory that I get this done quickly. I also can't find a tech support number. Please get back to me as soon as possible.

2 answers

1 vote
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2016

Which "interwebs" answer are you referencing?  I'm looking at:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/142540

Looking at my lab, the file in question needs to be created, in /home/jira/jira_data.  How is it you can't get to that?  Do you need to engage someone in your organization's IT department for filesystem access?

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2016

It's a witty name for the internet. A bit dated now

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2016

This corresponds to a customization of JIRA. If you are on JIRA cloud you cannot do this.

If you are on JIRA Server but you don't know how to get to the home directory I am really not sure how to help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2016

I have a feeling it's something Atlassian support will change for you if you raise a support request telling them a number for how many to show before moving to a menu (which was a deliberate UI decision taken a while ago based on many users complaining that there was too much on-screen in that area)

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2016

I know they're helpful but I haven't worked with the support staff there much. I'm glad they'd support a simple change like this though.

Roberto December 20, 2016

As stated above, this can't be done with a JIRA OnDemand (cloud) instance.  Here's how you'd make this configuration change with a JIRA Server instance:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/advanced-workflow-configuration-828787971.html

To change the number of transition buttons from the default of two:

By default, the first two transitions appear as separate buttons in the set of transition buttons. Additional transitions appear in the Workflow menu. The order in which these buttons appear is based on the order defined in the system workflow.

1. Shutdown JIRA.
  2. Edit the jira-config.properties file in your JIRA application home directory. See Making changes to the jira-config.properties file for more information.
  3. Change the value of 'X' in the ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-transitions = X property of this file to be the number of transition buttons required before the Workflow menu.
    information If this property does not exist in your jira-config.properties file, add it. Otherwise, a default value of 2 is assumed.
  4. Save the updated jira-config.properties file.
  5. Restart JIRA. 

Ideally, JIRA would add  the ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-transitions property as a configurable option for JIRA OnDemand instances under Administration >> System >> Advanced Settings.

Suggest an answer