Pie Chart Gadget - "Statistic Type" Fields Missing

Michele Grimm August 7, 2013

What determines which fields are available under "Statistic Type" for the Pie Chart Gadget? The custom field I want to use is not there, yet there are many other custom fields (but not all) listed.

6 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2013

The fields have to be "statable", which is a dodgy word meaning simply "can be counted". Mostly means select list type fields, by which I mean you can look at a list, like the seven colours of a rainbow. Then you can count usage - "we've got 3 blue issues, 2 orange ones and 92 green". You cannot really do that usefully with text or date fields, it's nonsense - it would be vanishingly rare to get more than one.

Tim McDougall October 21, 2014

I have to disagree with this assessment. There are many cases where you would want to have a generic text field, because you cannot predict what the values need to be, but where the actual values that are used will be some small finite list (customer names, for instance). I really with there was some support for this, even if you had to manually mark the field as allowable. The plugin mentioned below works great if you are hosting your own server, but if you use OnDemand, it seems like you're out-of-luck for the time being...

Like # people like this
&(*&)#)_*#@@(*)(@*)(*@
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2014

Hello Tim, I have been contacted recently for having this issue sorted out for a customer willing to switch to Jira On Demand. Let it be clear that your are not alone, feel free to contact me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2014

If you've got a small finite list of customer names, then you should put them in a list. Then the gadget will work. Unbounded fields don't make sense. What happens when I've got 10 distinct customers and a lot of bad spellers/readers/typists? I end up with a long list of duplicate entries. It doesn't work, because you're using the wrong field type.

Like Amir Katz (Outseer) likes this

@marc trey I was a bit puzzled by your response, Marc - Are you saying that you have found a solution for this issue that will work for OnDemand customers?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2014

(Oh, and the case with the dodgy typists - I once worked around this "problem" by writing a field that took the non-stattable data and made it stattable - worked brilliantly for a while, then ran into massive performance issues as the data set grew. The chap who worked out what I'd got wrong said a solution like that simply cannot scale without rewriting part of the core of Jira)

Like # people like this
&(*&)#)_*#@@(*)(@*)(*@
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2014

@Tim the plugin is ready for JIRA Data Center , it is now up to Atlassian to add it to JIRA OnDemande , i have been ask by several customers for this plugin to be found within JIRA onDemande. @a display name Unbounded fields don't make sense to you. i think we had that discussion before. :)

We have used this strategy of dropdown lists as well, but there are still many cases where this is out of our control. For instance, the Jira Agile plugin uses custom fields for the Version, Sprint and Epic that an issue is associated with. Those fields are open-ended and are therefore not usable in gadgets. I could also see cases where someone would want to group data based on Requested Date, Affected Version, or even something like Labels. It seems like a solvable problem. The plugin below already provides the functionality, and I can also export the data into Excel and have it make those graphs for me. There is always the potential to configure something that returns meaningless data, but the tool itself should not limit that configuration. If there are concerns for performance, those should just be handled as edge cases (maybe showing an error if the number of categories exceeds some limit or if the underlying query would be too taxing).

3 votes
&(*&)#)_*#@@(*)(@*)(*@
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2013

Hi Michele,

You can have a look a this plugin , it add statistic for those custom fields:

• Date Picker
  • Date Time Picker
  • Number
  • Select List (cascading)
  • Text Field (multi-line)
  • Text Field (single line)

Best regards

0 votes
Bob Hunt May 13, 2019

I have a similar challenge.

I'm trying to use the Pie Chart Gadget available in Confluence. 

I want to report on the status of all stories associated with an Epic, but I don't want the direct status, I need to up a level to the Status Category (i.e. New, In Progress, Completed). 

We created a new scripted field (using Script runner) called IssueStatusCategory (issue.status.statusCategory.name). This does the trick inside of queries etc. but I'm unable to see / select this field as a 'Statistic Type' within the Macro.

My scripted field "Template" is setup to use the  "Text Field (multi-line)" which (I'm guessing) is contributing to the problem but I don't see another suitable 'template' for this data.

Am I off in the weeds? Am I missing something simple to make this work?

Thanks for the help!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2019

You are right, it is the text field as described above - they're not "stattable".  You're not doing anything wrong, the function isn't there.

You could switch to a different method.  Have a drop-down select list that you populate in listener code instead of a calculated field.

Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2019

To add an observation to this sub-discussion - Jira dashboard Pie Chart gadget does not support StatusCategory as a Statistics Type. Bummer.

Karen Inman July 23, 2020

+1 that lack of StatusCategory is a bummer.

Matthew Day September 4, 2020

StatusCategory is all I care about. I've over a few hundred servers to migrate, and I just want to know % Done, but doesn't happen with Status as Closed (meaning not migrating). Huge Bummer!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 4, 2020

It's not all I care about, but I am 100% with you on that it is a <bad word>ing useful as a reportable value. 

And worse because when you've got a well-configured Jira, it's a shed-load more useful for reporting than having convoluted lists of individual status to work with. 

"is it to-do, in-progress or I-don't-care-because-it's-done" is so much more useful than the hundred and eleventy-twelve status that might be thought to be in one of those groups.

Bolaji Jegede March 29, 2021

I ended up in this community because I was looking for a way to add StatusCategory as a Statistic Type but it seems there is no way out from the thread of the conversation. 

@atlassian are you doing anything about this?

Like # people like this
0 votes
Geoff Saulnier May 24, 2017

I have a situation where a script compares the values of two custom fields that are single selects.  It then puts TRUE or FALSE (i.e. match or no match) into a script field.  This script field doesn't appear in the list of statistics available for the dashboard pie chart.

How do you suggest I get around that?

G>

&(*&)#)_*#@@(*)(@*)(*@
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2017

You must assigne a statable search template that match the return type of your custom scripted field.

Here is a full example with a numeric value jira-stattable-searchers not working with scriptrunner

0 votes
Jen Hamilton December 21, 2016

I have a field that represents queue ownership, there are only 10 possibilities for it.

The queue is used via a post- function that auto populates when a team is selected via transition.

That field shows which team owns ticket.

The search is based on this query - project = NOC AND project = NOC AND QUEUE ~ Fiber

How can I get the pie field options to show the "queue" field, is there an edit that can be done to query that will cause the field to display?

&(*&)#)_*#@@(*)(@*)(*@
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2017

you need to change the searcher for your "queue" custom field , see configuring a custom field :

• Search template — the mechanism for making a custom field searchable

ex :

2356662647.png

Suggest an answer