Move issue between SD and non-SD project, maintain Issue Key?

Robin van Es March 30, 2016

For our company we would like to be able to receive requests via Customer portal or phone/email, and then, if necessary, move the issue to a non Service Desk project (ex. the Development Team project) for them to work on the issue, and send it back to us when done.

However, the biggest problem here is that the Issue Key will be changed during both transitions. Is there any way to keep the Issue Key, even when in another project? Also, when an issue has been moved to a non-SD project, the customer won't be able to track it in the customer portal.

I was thinking of a workaround where I copy the issue to the desired project, then have both projects sync with an add-on. Then, when (for example) the development team is done, they can remove the issue from their side and the issue on our side will be automatically updated. Would this be a good solution?

Also, the following wish is also something that would make it a lot easier. Since we have a lot of different projects, we can't just make everyone an Agent in order for them to become an assignee of an issue in the SD environment.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-931

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2016

No, a project can only contain issues with its key.  A main point of the key is that it tells you what project the issue belongs to.  You can still use the old key - searches and the direct url for the issue will go "oh, that's moved", but that's it.

Some places use copies or parallel issues, so you have one in the service desk and one (or several) in other projects with links back to the original.  That seems to work quite well for them, especially when it comes to tracking and allocation of work, so I think you've got the right idea.

Suggest an answer