Looking for JQL filter to see a user's activity on issues

Vasyl Boroviak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2013

On a user's profile I can see his activity in both JIRA and Confluence. What I need is the list of issues the user was active in (added a comment, a commit, changed the status, updated any of the fields, etc.)

I expected the following to work but I this does not work obviously because updated is a DateTime value:

project = XXX AND updated by user

Any solutions to see user's activity on issues?

12 answers

4 votes
Kane McConnell March 12, 2016

Is this what you're looking for?

issue in issueHistory() ORDER BY updated DESC
Adam Knight May 6, 2018

That is awesome!  

issue in issueHistory() AND updated > startOfDay() ORDER BY updated DESC

Seems to show what I worked on today pretty well.  And, of course, things that were worked on after I touched them, which is also of interest...

jaromor September 5, 2018

Probably not what you want, see doc:

issueHistory()

Find issues that you have recently viewed, i.e. issues that are in the 'Recent Issues' section of the 'Issues' drop-down menu.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/advanced-searching-functions-reference-765593719.html#Advancedsearching-functionsreference-issueHistoryissueHistory()

4 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2013

Hey Vasyl,

There is an improvement request open for the last 10 years. You might want to vote up on it.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1973

Cheers

Bhushan

Vasyl Boroviak
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2013

That's quite funny. :) Any time I need to do something in JIRA 50% chance that "there is a request opened for 10 years". :)

Though, I need a workaround for OnDemand people.

Like # people like this
Jesse Sanford September 28, 2016

I would say it's more like a 90% chance.

Like # people like this
Ugubi.io September 28, 2016

And there is a 100% chance that our plugin answers your needs without waiting 1 more second wink

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.ugubi.streams.filtersactivitystream/server/overview 

You can test it for free up to 6 months.

Ugubi Team

BigBrother July 14, 2017

More like a 0% chance. Considering the question is tagged with "jira-cloud", your plugin won't solve anything for the OP.

vpgleghorn July 1, 2019

According to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-1973, this is now a released feature in 8.0.0. E.g.

issue in updatedBy('Homer Simpson')

Like William Rapha likes this
jennifer smith March 10, 2020

there's a 100% chance that there's a plugin that you'll have to buy to do every rinky dink thing that the product should already support.

This product is designed to nickle and dime you to death.

Like System Administration likes this
Miguel Costa March 12, 2020

well plugins are great for administrators of the platform but if I'm a user I can't just install a plugin... it really is surprising how so many medium to big size organizations pay so much for this kind of software with such basic flaws and lack of support

Michael Frederick June 25, 2021

LOL did Jira "like" the comment by @jennifer smith 

2 votes
Vahur Meus December 1, 2020

This is embarrassing.

I can't just click on user's name or profile or whatsoever and see user's last activity.
There are community posts about it for almost 10 years and still no solution.
People spend hours trying to configure the activity stream username filter without any luck.

Could you just fix it, Atlassian!

Jovana Markovic April 1, 2021

I completely agree with Vahur! Atlassian, are you planning to add this feature?

1 vote
AJ DaNelz September 26, 2013

You have to add a Jira plugin to get the "Participants" field. but my query looks like this:

Participants = currentUser() ORDER BY updatedDate DESC

Samira Negm April 9, 2019

Which plugin?

0 votes
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 28, 2021

A new JQL function that support this was added a while ago. See my answer here.

0 votes
Servicedesk May 23, 2019

Hello.

We are happy to announce that our plugin Custom Filters Activity Stream for Jira is now available for Cloud customers. 

Please follow this link to view the plugin : https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213902/custom-filters-activity-stream-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Feel free to contact us in case of any questions or support.

Best regards, 

Sébastien De Luca

Ugubi Team

0 votes
Greg Carpenter September 22, 2017

I want to filter by user name in AND clauses.  If this requires an add-on, my mind is boggled.

0 votes
Gatsby Wang April 10, 2017

Is there a cloud solution for this? 

Thanks

0 votes
Ugubi.io July 16, 2016

Hi,

Our Custom Filters Activity Stream plugin adds the possibility to filter the activity stream based on a JQL filter.

Best regards,
Ugubi Team

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2013

Your only solution I see for OnDemand is to use the REST API and pull the information over and format yourself. To keep things simple, you can format the data into a csv file and then use some local tools like excel to read that file.

Vasyl Boroviak
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2013

Good. May I ask you to point the API function(s) you are talking about?

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2013
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2013

I believe you can either use firefox or chrome to see if your feed works for you.

<your domain string>/activity?os_authType=basic

It should prompt you for username and password.

Vasyl Boroviak
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2013

Norman, the "someone's activity" is not "list of issues". I need list of issues, not actions. Thank you anyway.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2013

No, It shows everyone's activity that your login permission allows. I see all of my co-workers as well as mine when I run the url.

Vasyl Boroviak
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2013

Yes, of course. But you see, I need list of issues, not the activity from JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo, etc. :)

Cheers

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2013

The issue key is returned along with the action and user. You even have filters to get particular issues as well, There are various filters such as project updated date, user, transitions, etc. Yes, you might need to write some scipting code if all you want is a single row, but that code should be straight forward. Everything you asked for is being returned.

0 votes
Vasyl Boroviak
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2013

Oh, I am terribly sorry. I forgot to mentions that JIRA is OnDemand one.

Thank you anyway, Norman.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2013

Did you look in the market place. There are a couple of activity stream reports that might work depending on your Jira version the permissions of the user needing to see this information.

Suggest an answer