Is anyone else having trouble using JIRA 5.2.10 with Chrome?

Graham Bakay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2013

Hi everyone,

We're noticing a lot of trouble with JIRA (5.2.10) when accessing it with Chrome. Quite often, CSS assets won't load, or nothing will load at all (blank screen, not a 404). Shift-reloading sometimes helps. Often, JIRA is inaccessible unless you clear JIRA's cookies.

We have JIRA tied to our Crowd instance, and we have Tempo installed. Otherwise, pretty vanilla.

We've got 30 people using JIRA here and it's only the people using Chrome having trouble. IE seems to be working fine. Just curious if anyone else is having trouble?

TIA,

Graham.

9 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Graham Bakay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2013

Still an issue in JIRA 6. Not sure if it's Tempo-related. I've filed an issue here (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-33376) which points to an issue with Tempo (https://tempoplugin.jira.com/browse/JTMPO-815) which holds what I've found out so far.

Essentially, appears to be Chrome breaking the mime type for assest it pulls from its cache.

1 vote
Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2013

Hello Graham.

If you're still experiencing the problem be sure to check this issue:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/177089/recent-chrome-instability-with-jira-mime-incorrect-on-built-in-javascripts

We struggled with this problem. It is Jira-Chrome-IIS related. Soon firefox will experience it too, as mozilla developers work on strict mime-type executing too:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=471020

The quickest solution to this problem is to find "x-content-type-options:nosniff" setting on IIS and turn it off (remove). The best solution is to force JIRA developers to set correct mime types on javascript files :)

1 vote
hacorbin August 8, 2013

I have numerous chrome issues with JIRA 6 to include the blank white screen, losing my css styling, etc. It also has several issues in IE 10. Firefox seems to work fine though.

1 vote
Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2013

In all the test instance I've run I haven't had a lot of issues in Chrome. I am running the latest stable build of Chrome (26.0.1410.65) in both Windows and OSX. Hmm, as a test can you run JIRA in a incognito window and just go about regular work? I'm wondering if there's something that corrupts the cache after awhile.

Graham Bakay
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2013

Actually, I've been doing exactly that lately. I'll fire up a single incognito window and see how it works throughout the day today.

Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2013

Anything of note? Does the incognito window look to degrade over time?

Graham Bakay
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2013

Yeah, just had the styles give out. http://imgur.com/wxVQluK

Graham Bakay
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2013

Shift-reloading sometime results in JIRA never loading anything (progress wheel just spins and I eventually get a "Timed Out" error page). Sometimes shift-reloading brings it back correctly.

Vitaliy Geraymovych April 17, 2013

Similar issue since upgrading to 5.2.10. In Chrome and Safari clicking "Create Issue" shows spinning wheel that gets stuck. Incognito widnow doesn't help.

Dev console shows a bunch of pending requests initiated by batch.js:4 and batch.js:5

Graham Bakay
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

Here's a weird coincidence. If I open the developer tools in Chrome, it fixes things. Odd. I could have a blank white page which no amount of refreshes fixes, I open up the devtools and refresh and it works like a charm.

Oddness. Possible Chrome oddness, not JIRA.

Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
April 25, 2013

By developer tools, do you mean the developer toolbox plugin? I was playing with in conjunction with Chrome to see if any oddities happened. I haven't been able to reproduce on my end. If it's that plugin could you try to disable it for some time to see if that might be the cause?

Graham Bakay
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2013

It's not a plugin. Just the standard View > Developer > Developer Tools. I use the dev channel release of Chrome, but others in my org using the stable channel experience the same issues.

Graham Bakay
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2013

Just for this thread: totally had to do with Chrome's cache. With Dev Tools open, it disables the cache so the issue never reproduced. Once I found the setting to enable the cache when Dev Tools is open, I was able to determine more (see accepted answer).

0 votes
Marc Laros August 5, 2013

Same problem here, internet explorer and firefox works fine. I disabled Tempo, but the issues remain. Slow responding menus, crashes, filters don't work...

0 votes
Alexandra Bogus June 11, 2013

I'm using JIRA 6 and Chrome 27 and I have the same problem as reported by Graham -- blank screen. Works fine in other browsers. Is there a solution to this yet?

0 votes
David Dixon June 3, 2013
I have the same problem using Chrome 27 and JIRA 5.2.2 (no Tempo). I'm hoping this behavior goes away in JIRA 6...
0 votes
Graham Bakay
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2013

I'm pretty sure this is being caused by Tempo, not JIRA, but I'm trying to nail it down.

0 votes
Vitaliy Geraymovych April 17, 2013

Similar issue since upgrading to 5.2.10. In Chrome and Safari clicking "Create Issue" shows spinning wheel that gets stuck. Incognito widnow doesn't help.

Dev console shows a bunch of pending requests initiated by batch.js:4 and batch.js:5

Suggest an answer