How to sync from JIRA to Portfolio?

Steffen Rahn January 15, 2015

I know that I can sync back from Portfolio to JIRA by using

Plan > Apply updates to project/s

But the changes, that are made in JIRA to already imported issues (like the description) did not get synced to Portfolio. 

How can I ensure the they get synced?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2015

There are a couple things here you can do: 

1) for the summary and issue description you could turn on automatic syncing (Plan > Configure > Synchronization). This just keeps the issue summary and description in sync bi-directionally. 

2) There is plan > Update from date, which helps you to re-baseline estimates/remaining efforts and resolved issues from a given point in time. Let me point out that there is a bit of a caveat to this, that is important to understand: This feature has originally been designed not exactly as a "sync back" option, but rather to say, for instance after each sprint, what have we achieved, what's resolved and what's remaining, and plan onwards from this date. Thus, the feature asks for an update date when opening that dialog, and this date will be set after this as the new start date for the plan. If you don't want this behavior, and just update the remaining estimates, there is an easy workaround: you can set the update date in this dialog to some date in the past, prior to your first release in the plan. this works because Portfolio always takes the latest available start date, so either this plan update date, or the start date of the first release. 

We're looking into improving this down the road, but this is what's possible today (release 1.8*)

Steffen Rahn January 16, 2015

Thank you, I got it to work! But there comes up another question: Portfolio didn't render the JIRA wikimarkup which makes some descriptions hard to read. Is this intended? I found no option so far and google only told me, that this can happen with third party WYSIWYG-editors. (or should I asked this in a new question)

Roy Levien June 7, 2018

Where would I find 1 and 2 in Portfolio? I don't see either anywhere.

Like Chris_Shaughnessy likes this
0 votes
Maria Cieslak May 4, 2016

I have also problems with syncing from JIRA to the Portfolio, but it regards to new issues. 

I have organised our portfolio using particular tasks and subtasks. 

I would like to automatically import new issues added to JIRA and omit the step "Import issues".

The syncing option is generally working well because changes in the workflow for imported issues are applied. 

Is there any configuration in Portfolio/JIRA for easy importing tasks to Portfolio?

Suggest an answer