How do I add a custom label type field to JIRA's issue create/edit/view screens?

shashank_sanjay April 20, 2017

I have a field called Execution Status, it is a label field with three options, Pass Fail and Error. I cannot figure out how to add the field to JIRA's issue pages programmatically. I followed the tutorial and found out how to add a custom field which can be added by the JIRA admin, but I want to put a new field on existing issue pages automatically when my plugin is downloaded.

Here is my xml (view edit are same template because nothing is appearing on screen and I just wanted to test it):

<customfield-type key="Execution-Status-field" name="Execution Status" class="com.seguira.jira.plugin.ta.action.ExecutionStatusField"><description>Seguira Test Execution Field</description> 
<resource type="velocity" name="view" location="templates/actions/view-basictext.vm"/>
<resource type="velocity" name="edit" location="templates/actions/view-basictext.vm"/>
<resource type="velocity" name="xml" location="templates/actions/xml-basictext.vm"/>
</customfield-type>

ExecutionStatus.java:

public class ExecutionStatusField extends LabelsCFType { 

public ExecutionStatusField(JiraAuthenticationContext jac, IssueManager im, GenericConfigManager gcm, LabelUtil lu, LabelManager lm, ProjectImportLabelFieldParser pilfp, JiraBaseUrls jbu) {
super(jac, im, gcm, lu, lm, pilfp, jbu);
}

}

I found this code online, and added some to it:

FieldScreenManager fieldScreenManager = ComponentAccessor.getFieldScreenManager();

FieldScreen screen = fieldScreenManager.getFieldScreen(new Long(10001));
FieldScreenTab defaultTab = screen.getTab(0);
defaultTab.addFieldScreenLayoutItem(customFieldId);

I'm unsure where to get the custom field's ID

and the vm file:

<select 
class="multi-select long-field hidden edit-labels-inline multi-select-select" 
name="$customField.id" value="Pass" id="$customField.id"
multiple="multiple" >
</select>

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2017

Hi Shashank,

there's another community for developer's issues:

https://community.developer.atlassian.com/

Maybe you get an answer there sooner.

ah thanks

I've posted on there, but can't seem to delete this issue. Anyway, here is the link to the dev community post: https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/how-do-i-add-a-custom-label-type-field-to-jiras-issue-create-edit-view-screens/2807

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2017

No problem, here are also a lot of developers reading and answering the questions.

Suggest an answer