Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to Assign Issue?

Rostam Kilgour July 22, 2024

Hi All

I'm trying to find a way to find the time it takes to assign an issue. We have an automated intake of issues into a project (genetrated from a mixture of Jira Automation, and Power Automate), they land with no assignee. Issues are then assigned as we consider each issue depending on the skills required to solve the issue.

Essentially I'm trying to find the time stamp of when an issue was first assigned, and will deduct the created time stamp. I'd ideally like to do it in Power BI, on in a Jira native dashboard. When I expand the assignee record in Power BI there is no date of assignment. I can't see any other columns that would have this information in, or a record of status changes.

The reason for asking this is because the time to assignment is presently way too long for our team, and I want to be able to create a display that shows this!

image.png

8 answers

3 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Rosenlund _Trundl_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2024

Hi, @Rostam Kilgour. First, I moved your question to the Automation group where someone smarter than me (when it comes to Automation) may be able to help you.

And to add to what @Amay Purohit_RVS had to say, there are a number of apps in the Atlassian Marketplace that do this. The screenshot below is only showing the first six results 😎

Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 8.18.42 AM.png

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/addons/app/jira/top-rated?hosting=cloud&moreFilters=cloudFortified&moreFilters=vendorSupported&query=%22time%20in%20status%22

Hope this helps,

-dave

Rostam Kilgour July 23, 2024

Thanks Dave

2 votes
Answer accepted
Amay Purohit_RVS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2024

Hi @Rostam Kilgour  

You can use Jira Rest API's to pull this data if you are looking to track multiple issues at once. Or you can check the history tab if you need this information for a handful of issues.

Another option could be to use a mktplace app. If you would be fine to try out one, take a look at 

Time in Status Reports 

Couple of reports provided by the app can help to get this data, "First Transition to Assignee" and "Time with Assignee. For Time with assignee you can see how much time the issues were in "Unassigned" state.

This data can be easily exported to Power BI using the JSON Feed feature provided by the app itself.

Also the app has 20+ reports to meet a variety of time in status use cases. Do give it a try.

More Details here 

Disclaimer : I work for the vendor who built this app

Transtion to Assignee.PNG

TWA.PNG

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rostam Kilgour July 25, 2024

Hi All

Thank you for all your suggestions. I'm sure they all work well, however they all cost and I was hoping to be able to get this information out using already available tools.

A slightly less elegent way, but free, will be to create a Custom Field (Date/Time format) and update it whenever someone is assigned to a task (for the first time). I'm probably going to embark on this route unless anyone else has a free suggestion?

Thanks

Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 29, 2024

Hi @Rostam Kilgour

If you are looking for a completely  free solution, you can try Status Time Reports Free which is the limited version of Status Time Reports.

Hope it helps.

2 votes
Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 22, 2024

Hi @Rostam Kilgour  👋

As @Dave Rosenlund _Trundl_ mentioned there are various add-ons over marketplace to try. S
o if an app from the Atlassian Marketplace should become an option for you, you may want to have a look at the app that my team and I are working on, Time In Status.

I am going to show you how to find the time it takes to assign an issue in a few clicks:

1. Choose Time in Status report 
  2. Filter by JQL assignee = empty 
  3. Enjoy your report!

Знімок екрана 2024-07-22 о 23.18.39.png

You can also book a live demo - we'll show you the application inside out and answer all your questions.

Have a nice day 🥳

2 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
July 22, 2024

Hi @Rostam Kilgour

As you can see from the previous answers, this is an area where many Jira users rely on apps from the Atlassian Marketplace to fulfil their reporting needs. 

If a Marketplace app is an option for you, I think you'll like the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of so-called history columns that aren’t natively available, including the time with [assignee] and time unassigned.

This is how it looks in action:

time-unassigned-v2.gif

As you can see above, you can easily sort and filter by your history columns; you can also use them across JXL's advanced features, such as support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
July 23, 2024

Hi @Rostam Kilgour

Jira doesn't have a built-in solution for assignee time. If you prefer using a marketplace app, you can try Status Time Reports app developed by our team. It mainly provides reports and gadgets based on how much time passed in each status.

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try without installing the app. For your case, you can have a look at Time in Assignee report. Unassigned column (as can be seen on the screenshot below) is what you are looking for.

Time in Assignee.png

For further details, you can have a look at Status Time Reports How to Videos.

If you are looking for a completely  free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Reports Free.

If you have any questions, feel free to schedule a demo with us.

Hope it helps.

0 votes
Gizem Gökçe _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
July 23, 2024

Hello @Rostam Kilgour ,

My recommended app for you is Timepiece (formerly Time in Status) app, the oldest and leading Time in Status app in Atlassian Marketplace, which is built by my team at OBSS. It is available for both Jira Cloud, and Data Center. 

There are two ways to find out how long it takes to assign an issue.

The first is to use the Assignee Duration report. In this report you can see how much time each assignee has spent on each issue. Unassigned is also a column, so from this column you can easily see how much time this issue spends when it has no assignee.

Time to Assign Issue Assignee Duration Report.png

Your second option is Assignee Duration per Status Report. This is a more detailed version of the first report. In this report you can also see the time spent on each status separately.

Time to Assign Issue Assignee Duration per Status Report.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

Timepiece reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts. And the app has a REST API so you can get the reports from Jira UI or via REST. Also you can export the reports in to various formats easily. 

Visit Timepiece (formerly Time in Status) to explore and enjoy a 30-day free trial to experience the full range of features.

If you wish, you can also schedule a live demo. We will provide a comprehensive overview of the application and address any inquiries you may have.

Hope it helps,

Gizem

0 votes
theCode4_company
Marketplace Partner
July 22, 2024

Hi @Rostam Kilgour 

As mentioned in the previous comment, you can try using the REST API for this matter. Here is a handy link for this topic:
How to connect Power BI to JIRA using Rest API and without third-party apps.

If you are open to using third-party apps, we are happy to offer our PRO solution of the Exporter for Jira app, which includes a Field Change History option with Assignee and Created fields selected.
time to first assignee.png

Once the data is exported to Power BI, you will be able to create a report based on the TimeInOldValue data, where the issue was unassigned (empty field).
time to first assignee_power_bi.png

Additionally, you can set up scheduled refreshes so that the report is automatically updated in Power BI as new issues are created.

If you need further support, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,
theCode4 Team

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events