What are your takeaways from Migrations Month?

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2022

Bevy Banner Events_countdown to cloud.png

If you haven't heard, this January is Migrations Month in the Atlassian Community. Which means tons of events (and cloudie swag!) and new migration resources shared.

So, we want to know: What are your takeaways from Migrations Month? Let us know by adding to the discussion below, and feel free to add new comments all month long!

• What have you learned?

• What new questions do you have?

• Any advice you'd give to someone else who's thinking about migrating? 

• Additional resources or support you need from Atlassian?

As a recap, here's our event schedule:

And here's some of the best new content we're sharing this month: 

Let us know what you think by adding your takeaways below!

19 comments

Comment

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2022

@Elizabeth Howden These upcoming events are going to be great for learning about Atlassian Cloud and migration to Cloud. I am so excited for these events as well as the new upcoming content and resources that would guide and prepare users better to make their migration process smoother.

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2022

That's great to hear @Taranjeet Singh ! Thanks so much for participating!

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

Hi @Elizabeth Howden

Thanks for sharing the quick recap!!

As a person who has performed migrations from server to cloud, I have come across several issues while migrating the projects in Jira.

Surely these webinars will enhance our skills on migration to the cloud.

I have one query though, when can we expect the data which can't be migrated to the "can be migrated" section.

https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/what-gets-migrated-with-the-jira-cloud-migration-assistant

Thanks,
Pramodh

Like Dave Liao likes this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2022

@Elizabeth Howden 

Earlier to what I said, here's my thought

For example, many Projects may have built several boards, filters in order to unify the view to have all issues in one place. But when we migrate that to cloud, there's no intact data that can be preserved, we need to make some changes in order those data to be migrated and then again we need to make changes in cloud.

I also had joined the "Power of Atlassian Cloud" demo yesterday!!

Surely for one thing, Cloud is path you should take moving forward to have continous business flow, without impacting and focusing important work in a team.

Improvements to Enterprise Plans will give the Confidence for Companies move to Cloud with all Security features and Compliance!!

Thanks,
Pramodh

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2022

Hi @Pramodh M - thanks so much for asking the question around when certain capabilities will be delivered in the Cloud Migration Assistants! We include some of this info in our public facing Cloud roadmap but are looking to expand this section of our roadmap and the ways we keep customers up to date on what's shipping in the migration tooling. Stay tuned for more info!

In the meantime, we always share updates to migration tooling capabilities in the migration collection in Community and will continue to do so!

Like Pramodh M likes this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2022

Thanks @Elizabeth Howden 

Utkarsh Agarwal _Nagarro_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2022

Thoroughly enjoyed the Power of Atlassian Cloud demo

Do watch this demo if you are thinking about exploring the Atlassian Cloud platform capabilities, upcoming features and how cloud transforms your business. Also, you will get latest insight of Atlassian's cloud roadmap

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2022

@Utkarsh Agarwal _Nagarro_ Thanks for joining! :)

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2022

Hi @Elizabeth Howden 

Here's the glimpse of the "Power of Atlassian Cloud" event hosted by my chapter and key takeaways:

1. 80% of the Enterprise cloud workloads will shift to the cloud by 2025!
  2. Customer's are preferring to cloud in order to save cost, time, eliminate manual upgrades.
  3. What tools are available to evaluate cloud and migration? >> Free cloud migration tool, cloud migration assistants, app assessment.
  4. Cloud is going to transform the business through 5 areas: Government & controls, security & compliance, reliability & performance, productivity & apps, costs & ROI
  5. Upcoming security controls: NIST in 2022, FedRAMP moderate in 2023, HIPAA in 2023.
  6. Lastly, 70% of CTO's feel security on cloud is better.

Finally, here's the migrations month Visakhapatnam chapter's event link 

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2022

@G subramanyam Such great takeaways - thanks for sharing! I hope you all had a great event!

Like Monique vdB likes this
Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2022

Thank you for sharing this @G subramanyam

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2022

Attended the "Power of Atlassian Cloud" demo today. It was so good and informative and clarified a lot of queries.

Looking forward to "Cloud Migration Demo" on Jan 19, 2022.

Like # people like this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

Great session for the Power of Atlassian Cloud demo 

I wasn't aware that there are so many tools available to assess how the migration would work.  And there is some great support from Atlassian.

@Elizabeth Howden I used a different email to login to the live session, is there a way to consolidate my corporate account with community account to get the kudos points? :)

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2022

My current takeawy is this

https://support.atlassian.com/security-and-access-policies/docs/understand-data-residency/

Didn't know tha I can choose the hosting area

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2022

I participated in the initial webinar and found it quite useful, at least as an introductory level. It is clear that there are a lot of benefits to cloud and yet there are still are a number of challenges for some current server users. It seems is clear that Atlassian is committed to overcome as many hurdles as possible. I also found it rather interesting about the number of cloud apps versus server apps. In my experience over the years the partner development community is producing cloud apps and I rapid rate.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2022

After attending the first webinar and doing some looking around the Cloud Migration Center.  Atlassian has really put a lot of effort and resources in to making migrations from server to cloud smoother and easier.

I successfully migrated a couple of years ago and there are a number of resources now that weren't available then and I think this is amazing!

Like # people like this
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2022

"Cloud Migration Demo" was a great recap of all offerings Atlassian provides. This includes organizational offers like a support team for in-depth migration questions, but also solutions like migration tooling (Jira Cloud Migration Assistant). Also the explanation on additonal resources like the Atlassian Migration Center (https://www.atlassian.com/migration) was useful.

Something really true is the hint that "migration is a team sport". Something that cannot be emphasized enough.

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2022

Attended the "Cloud Migration Demo" today. 

I liked the phrase "Migrating is a team sport" and we should really try to keep all the involved teams and stakeholders informed and ready about our Cloud migration assessment, planning, and timelines.

It was really a great experience, learning a lot from this demo, and it clarified a lot of questions related to the Cloud migration planning and execution phases, and the available Cloud migration methods.

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2022

The "Cloud Migration Demo" was informative and a great place to start for those going through the migration.

Like # people like this
Josh Costella
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2022

The discussion today was great! It was also nice seeing so many community members in there. Especially a few legendary ones. :)  

Although our cloud migration happened back in 2019, it's great to see how the resources and knowledge have grown since. 

There's never been a better time to move to cloud, imho. 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2022

I attended the "Cloud Migration Demo".  It would be very helpful for individuals thinking about or going to migrate to the cloud.  It laid out all the different resources that Atlassian provides to make the migration smooth and seamless.  It even touched on some future migration product enhancements that will be coming to make it easier.  It was a great session that grouped all of the necessary information into a quick demo.  

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2022

Initial webinar provided a good overview and path forward. Definitely worth watching. 

Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2022

The Cloud Migration Demo on Wednesday (19th) gave a great overview of the migration path.

The sentences "Migration is a team sport. You'll need to get your stakeholders on board." was one I'm experiencing right now. I'm working on a migration and there are a lot of persons involved who have actions in the migration. We all need to be in sync so we'll make sure everything is considered.

The presentation lists the following stakeholders:

• Project Manager
  • Executive Sponsor
  • Legal & Compliance
  • System Admins
  • Technical Team
  • Security Team

and I would also like to add "Users". They can help cleaning up and getting rid of old/unused Workflows/Fields etc. by reviewing their current way of working.

It was a great presentation with lots of information.

Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2022

Attended the "Cloud Migration Demo". The presentation provides a good overview of the benefits of moving to cloud a glimpse of the cloud roadmap ahead.
Forge is another interesting topic which I would like to explore!

Offloading Admins' Security & Compliance headache is a compelling reason to move to the cloud, IMHO.

Lukas Gotter _ Meetical
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 31, 2022

I've attended Atlassian Cloud: Marketplace app availability and security webinar with the CTO of Adaptavist - was interesting, especially the questions at the end.

Some security questions were related to Apps... As an App creator, I realised that security is a very important topic for customers adopting 3rd party cloud Apps. The investments in the Cloud Fortified program are most probably worth it and create better trust and security.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2022

I had a great time listening in to the Rotterdam ACE chapter meetup last week. There was a great panel of speakers.

The one major takeaway I had is how important it is to communicate the migration within your organization, Make sure to keep everyone affected in the loop about what work is being done in the background to prepare for the migration, when the migration is scheduled, and how to access the new instance once the migration is complete. 

Too often we run these processes in the background hoping that users won't notice, but wait until it's too late to inform them, and thus ready them, for the impending changes. While not every project can or should be run by committee, informational updates are certainly appreciated by the users and will smooth the transition for the admins.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events