Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

AMA with Chris Clarke: Head of Product, Migration Journey

Edited
cc Atlassian Team Jan 13, 2022

countdown to cloud_Community Announcement Banner@2x (1).png

Happy Migrations Month! If you haven’t heard, this January we’re hosting exclusive events, giving away cloudies, and sharing helpful resources as part of our #CountdownToCloud celebration.

Hopefully you’ve read the interview with Sean McKenna, Senior Software Engineer and Team Lead at Lucid, about his migration story. We also hope you’ll check out what other members of Community have learned so far this month. And as always, don’t forget to visit and bookmark the Cloud Migration Center to get started on your journey to Cloud.

As Head of Product, Migration Journey, I’m interested to know: what questions can I answer about Cloud migrations? Is there any feedback you’d like to share directly with me and the migration team?

Comment directly on this thread and I’ll be back with other Atlassians on January 31st to get your questions answered. Everyone who participates by adding a question will be entered to win a cloudie!

11 answers

1. During large migrations we often tend to see timeouts or database connections issues. How are you planning to ensure that the efficiency and performance through CMA's (Cloud Migration assistants) is top notch? Not to mention, it is still much better than site imports!

2. What role does Atlassian support plays to resolve apps migrations complexities? Reaching out to app vendors directly seems like a blocker. Is there a plan to onboard app vendors on a single support portal?

3. When can we expect dashboards & cross-project boards to be migrated using JCMA?

5 votes
Dave Liao Community Leader Jan 13, 2022

How do you prioritize what features your team should work on next? Anything public (or Community-facing) where we can provide feedback? 😉

Taranjeet Singh Community Leader Jan 14, 2022

That's a good question, @Dave Liao !

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao Community Leader Jan 14, 2022

Glad someone thinks so!

1. When would Jira Cloud to Cloud migration assistant start supporting Jira Service Management projects?

2. Does JCMA support migration of 'Email Requests' settings for Jira Service Management projects?

3. Are there any recommendations or best practices for speeding up or improving the performance of running migration plans for projects with large number of issues (say, 100k) using JCMA.

4. In Jira Server or DC, it is very easy to get the count of total issues in Jira or any project from Jira's Issue Navigator page, but after migration to Jira Cloud, there is no way I have noticed to get such counts readily from Jira's UI or Jira's Issue Navigator page. It is often needed to tally issue counts during migration testing. Is there a way to get such counts from Jira Cloud UI that I am missing; or if not, is there plan to implement this in Jira Cloud UI?

+1 for question 1.

Like Dave Liao likes this
3 votes

Hi Chris & Team,

Thank you for taking the time to answer some of these questions.

I have already successfully migrated to the Cloud.  What is the best way for people in my situation to provide feedback on the migration process?

And, what or where is the most helpful medium to share the experience with others who haven't completed the migration yet?

Thanks!

Does the CCMA supports the migration of global templates and space templates?

3 votes
Andy Gladstone Community Leader Jan 18, 2022

One of the justifications we often hear from the community regarding why a member is on Server or Data Center is that there is a more robust set of tools available for Server and DC clients.

Specifically related to Confluence, what are the top five blockers that the team has identified for Server/DC -> Cloud migration, and how soon will they be available on Cloud prior to the migration period deadline?

When a site is migrated to another site (cloud to cloud) and if the origin site is under the annual plan any credit left (product or app) is lost. 

A migration experience is more than just the technical aspect of it, therefore the financial aspect should be taken into consideration as well as we customers feel that it is not acceptable that the credit can't be transferred to the destination site even though both sites are under the same organization. If data can be migrated, credit should be able to be migrated as well.

We use the Comala Document Management add-on as core functionality to our business processes. In the heavily regulated industry we work, Confluence is not compliant without the features that Comala offer.

I understand from Comala that Atlassian has failed to deliver on its commitment to rollout many cloud features that are required to allow Comala to reach feature parity. Indeed you are far behind the promised roadmap. While at same time you are compelling us to move with price rises and upgrade lockouts from 15 Feb 2022.

We would love to migrate to the cloud but simply cannot.

Can I we please have a discussion about when Atlassian will deliver the required features. 

See here for information on the issues. https://wiki.comalatech.com/display/CDMC/Migrating+to+Confluence+Cloud#MigratingtoConfluenceCloud-ComalaDocumentManagementCloudFeatureParity

We've been told previously by Jira Service Management consultants that moving our data from the Server product to the Cloud and Data Center violates your TOS currently based on some of the data that is stored in our project issues.

Who can we get in touch with to confirm we wouldn't be violating TOS by moving to Data Center?

My company wouldn't mind moving to cloud but we have an ITAR compliance requirement. 

Atlassian is claiming to be going for FedRAMP moderate last time I checked and this seems to satisfy most ITAR requirements and should theoretically be ITAR compliant to my knowledge.

Does Atlassian have any plans to offer ITAR related plans or just claim to be ITAR compliant along with FedRAMP moderate?

This is our companies main issue with migrating to cloud at this time. 

0 votes

Our migration will consist of (2) Jira instantiations and (2) Confluence instantiations. Each product has its own database.

Can we discuss how to perform a cloud migration to combine these products so we end up with (1) Jira and (1) Confluence environment?

What is the best method to migrate (4) different databases down to (2)? Can that even be done?

Looking forward to your responses. 

Thank you,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Asked in Atlassian Cloud Migration

AMA with Chris Clarke: Head of Product, Migration Journey

Happy  Migrations Month ! If you haven’t heard, this January we’re hosting exclusive events, giving away cloudies, and sharing helpful resources as part of our #CountdownToCloud celebration. H...

1,925 views 14 20
View question

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you