REST Client get all issues of project

Mokuyobi January 1, 2013

Hey there,

I want to get all issue keys of a project via Rest. Is there any method for that?

In the api I do not find any method there for.

8 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2013

hi.

you can trigger all issus of a project just like a jql query...

find more details here

http://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2013

f.e.

/rest/api/2/search?jql=project="Your Project Key"

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/JIRA+REST+API+Example+-+Query+issues

Like Miguel Esteban likes this
Pallavi TS May 11, 2014

Hi C. Faysal,

/rest/api/2/search?jql=project="Your Project Key"

This gives you just first 50 issues, how can i get all the issues? I have around 1348

Like # people like this
Marc Menges August 25, 2014

Same problem here. Do I have to make two calls in order to get all issues?

CEDRIC ZABEL
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2014

If you check the docs, you’ll see information about the “maxResults” parameter to the “/rest/api/2/search” resource. That’s what you want.

Like # people like this
Marc Menges August 26, 2014

This is everything I could find regarding "maxResults": "the maximum number of issues to return (defaults to 50). The maximum allowable value is dictated by the JIRA property 'jira.search.views.default.max'. If you specify a value that is higher than this number, your search results will be truncated."

The problem is, that you may not know how many there are before doing the query. And setting the value to some randomly high number feels wrong. I really don't know why it has to be that complicated. Why is the default 50 and not 'all'?

For everyone who has the same issue: Just use -1 as value for maxResults. That 'somehow' works.

CEDRIC ZABEL
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2014

Yeah, that’s how “maxResults” works. You don’t put in how many results you think you’ll get. You put in how many results you can possibly handle. It’s like a paged display of results. If you go to Google and search for “baseball,” Google won’t send over all 500,000,000 results that it knows about.

Obviously, whatever Jira instance you’re dealing with is a lot smaller than Google, so maybe whatever is gathering the results of your REST call can deal with all the results Jira can throw at you. In this case, setting “maxResults” to an arbitrarily high number, or the special value of -1 is the correct thing to do. That’s how it works.

Marc Menges August 27, 2014

Got it. Thanks.

Mei Ying Phuah August 25, 2017

Hi. anyone successful to get the issues no exceed 50 by using vba? can share the coding here? 

sayeed1310 July 11, 2018

maxResult attribute helps only until 1000 issues.

Is there anything that can help get beyond this limit?

Like # people like this
tarunmunjal December 15, 2020
function jira_pagination () { 
maxResults=50

total_items=
$1
if [ 0 -lt $(expr $total_items % $maxResults) ]; then
total_iterations=$(expr $total_items / $maxResults)
else
total_iterations=
$(expr $total_items / $maxResults)
fi
count=0

start_at=0

results=
""
while [ $count -le $total_iterations ]
do
r
esults+=$(${@:2}&startAt=$start_at)
start_at=
$(( $start_at + $maxResults ))
count=
$(( $count + 1 ))
done
echo "${results}"
}

function jira_get_all_issues_in_project() {
project_key=
"${1}"
number_of_total_boards=
$(curl -s -u ''$JIRA_USERNAME:$JIRA_PASSWORD'' -X GET -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://jira.com/rest/api/2/search?jql=project="${project_key}" | jq .total)
issue_results=$(jira_pagination $number_of_total_boards curl -s -u ''$JIRA_USERNAME:$JIRA_PASSWORD'' -X GET -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://jira.com/rest/api/2/search?jql=project="${project_key}")
echo "${issue_results}"
}
jira_get_all_issues_in_project "someproject"

If anyone is still looking for a solution. You can use the following bash functions to get a list of all the issues. It will iterate over all the pages and in the end give you all the issues in a project. It will be slow depending upon how many issues are there. Change the jira server and pass the project.

52 votes
sayeed1310 July 11, 2018

So there are two things one has to do..

1.  Get the total issues in a project with a basic and 'quick and light' query
    1. I say light and quick because we are simply establishing the total count of issues in the project in this step.
    2. URL: https://<server>/rest/api/2/search?jql=project=<YourProjectKey>&maxResults=0
    3. This gives a result like --> 
      { "startAt": 0,
        "maxResults": 0,
        "total": 22114,
        "issues": [] }
  2. Iterate over the total number of issues to fetch the desired details/fields of each issue.
    1. Note: Maximum allowable fetch seems to be 1000 issues at a time. So let's break it up for iteration using the parameters startAt and maxResults.
    2. startAt is the index of the issue in the 'complete list (22114 items as above)'
    3. We can also filter the fields that we are interested to fetch. This is especially useful because failing to provide this will result in fetching all fields in each issue, including custom fields. Down below, I'm interested only in key, summary and description fields. 
    4. for startIndex in range(0, 22114, 1000): 

search on URL: "https://<server>/rest/api/2/search?jql=project=<YourProjectKey>&fields=key,summary,description&maxResults=1000&startAt={startIndex}"
Robert Walters August 28, 2018

This should be the top answer IMO. Thanks a lot!

Like # people like this
Dakota Palmer December 8, 2019

The real MVP

Like # people like this
Jowin Cueto January 16, 2020

When i use this, 

search on URL: "https://<server>/rest/api/2/search?jql=project=<YourProjectKey>&fields=key,summary,description&maxResults=1000&startAt={startIndex}"

I got  100 issues, unlike before I only have 50, but I want more than hundreds of issues

sayeed1310 March 8, 2020

@Jowin Cueto , what is your start index? Did you try running your query inside Jira environment to verify how many issues it returns? We would simply need to provide the same query to the "jql" parameter. 

3 votes
Marc Menges August 26, 2014

This is everything I could find regarding "maxResults": the maximum number of issues to return (defaults to 50). The maximum allowable value is dictated by the JIRA property 'jira.search.views.default.max'. If you specify a value that is higher than this number, your search results will be truncated.

The problem is, that you may not know how many there are before doing the query. And setting the value to some randomly high number feels wrong. I really don't know why it has to be that complicated. Why is the default 50 and not 'all'?

For everyone who has the same issue: Just use -1 as value for maxResults. That 'somehow' works.

0 votes
Nagarjuna Chilaka December 2, 2020

Specify maxResults=None, This worked for me.

I was able to get all the results from jira. 

0 votes
jeoppy jeoppy October 22, 2018

just sharing my resolution to the concatenation of results , and getting all the info 

i have a jira query function in perl 

, which is called for every jql i need and return a ref to all the issues that come back 
so i am calling the function as follow :

defining the max results jira allows to retrieve:

use constant {
JIRA_MAX_RESULTS => 1000,
};

initialize my jql :

my $jira_Jql = 'project = "GIGI" and type in ("Bug" , "Minor Bug") ';

define which return columns I need (instead of getting big hash back this will narrow it a bit ) :

my $returnedColumns = [ qw/key/ ];

or another example to get key + status :
my $returnedColumns = [ qw/key status/ ];

and I call the function : 

my $jiraResultsRef = queryJira($jira_Jql, $returnedColumns);

:the function itself looks as below and iterate via the results

first it run the jql with maxresults = 0 to get the number of results which exist,

then based on that it initializes the amount of iterations need to do in order to get all the info .

last stage is to concatenate the results and returning the ref to this array .

use JIRA::REST;
sub queryJira { my ($jira_Jql, $returnedColumns) = @_;

# set Connection to the jira API.
$_jiraUrl = "http://$_jira_host:$_jira_port";

$_jiraConnection = JIRA::REST->new({
url => $_jiraUrl,
username => $_jira_user,
password => $_jira_pass,
});

# return search total number of results
my $queryTotalOfResults = $_jiraConnection->POST('/search', undef,
{
jql => $jira_Jql,
startAt => 0,
maxResults => 0,
fields => $returnedColumns,
});

#check the amount of issues returned :
my $totalResultsNumber = $queryTotalOfResults->{total};
# dividing the number with the jira's MAX results which are allowed via "ceil" which will give the number of iteration needed 
my $numberOfIterations = ceil ($totalResultsNumber / JIRA_MAX_RESULTS) ;
print ("\n \$totalResultsNumber: $totalResultsNumber \n \$numberOfIterations : $numberOfIterations \n\n");

my $queryResults;
my @_returnedResults ;

if (not $totalResultsNumber) #if no results found
{
return;
}
#assuming there are result start looping :
for(my $counter=0; $counter <= $numberOfIterations; $counter++)
{
$queryResults = $_jiraConnection->POST('/search', undef,
{
jql => $jira_Jql,
startAt => ($counter*JIRA_MAX_RESULTS),
maxResults => JIRA_MAX_RESULTS,
fields => $returnedColumns,
});
#and concatenate them to one big happy @_returnedResults
@_returnedResults = ( @_returnedResults, @{$queryResults->{issues}} );
}
# making sure i got the same amount of keys returned :
print ("\n total of keys in the hash :" . (scalar @_returnedResults) . "\n" );
return \@_returnedResults;
}

0 votes
Lucian June 22, 2018

I have the same issue with worklogs, I can not get more than the first 20, 

I tried all the parameters specified in the Jira pagination spec, ex:

/issue/GPIM-7136?fields=worklog&startAt=15
/issue/GPIM-7136?fields=worklog&maxResults=10
/issue/GPIM-7136?maxResults=10

I am always getting back 

"fields": {
"worklog": {
"startAt": 0,
"maxResults": 20,
"total": 43,

0 votes
John Nguyen February 26, 2018

Hi All,

What doe the APIs look like if I want:

1 - Get all the sprint IDs of a project?

2 - Get all the issues in a specific sprint?

I'm new to the API syntax and looks like the API docs did not explain the syntax well.  I'm continue to loop at the API doc and its API examples while waiting for some good tips.

Thanks a lot guys

J.N

John Nguyen February 26, 2018

I found the example page where it describes how to do all these.

Thanks anyway folks

J.N

Customer Test Account April 5, 2018

Would you like to share this example page maybe @John Nguyen ?

0 votes
Nacho Pérez Alonso June 7, 2016

some requests as:

/rest/api/2/search?jql=project="Your Project Key"&startAt="start"&maxResults="max"

where max limit is 1000. If you try a number greather than 1000 rest api returns only 1000 results.
You must to look "total" param in response to know how many request have to do.

FYI look at pagination section: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/

Regards

mark mark October 18, 2017

I tried with "/rest/api/2/search?jql=project" and works.

However for entire string like /rest/api/2/search?jql=project="Your Project Key"&startAt="start"&maxResults="max" , 404 not found error is returned.

I am using JIRA 6.2. Is it not supported?

Ketan Vidhate October 31, 2017

Please provide space before and after '&'
rest/api/2/search?jql=project="Your Project Key" & startAt="start" & maxResults="max"

Like Mark likes this

Suggest an answer