Hi! I want to add a custom field URL FIELD containing a clickable URL for example
to: https://www.yahoo.com/?guccounter=1I did set the Default Value to:
to https://www.yahoo.com/?guccounter=1But the field shows the url as plain text and it is not clickable. However if I copy & paste the link from the field into a browser it works so the url is correct (I have tried other urls too).How do I make it clickable? Or should I use some other kind of field and with what formatting then? Thanks for any help
Hi @Murat Sahan
URL is fine. It should be clickable and open web page in new tab.
I have tested on Text Field ( sigle line) , it's working. JIRA detecting the URL.
If it's a multiline field , then it won't work. otherwise it works for Single Line text field and URL field.
Hi Pasam! I created a single line custom field as suggested and inserted an url as a default value and it unfortunately shows up as plain text
i have tried with url field while creating a ticket insert the url field as https://www.google.com
after creating ,in the view ticket screen if you click on the url it will redirects the page
Once again thanks for you help and you are right in the ticket it is an url but what I failed to explain (my bad) is that we want it to be an url in the create ticket screen so we can point users to more suitable issue types or a document to be read before filling in some of the fields. Anyhow your explanation is valuable since it helped me to better understand how the fields work!
If your goal is to display a clickable link during the “Create Issue” screen, setting a default value won’t make it clickable — Jira renders field values there as plain text for security and consistency reasons.
Best practice:Add the link as a hyperlinked text in the field description (or help text). Jira supports simple HTML in field descriptions, so you can format it like this:<a href="https://www.yahoo.com/?guccounter=1" target="_blank">Go to Yahoo</a>
This way, users will see and can click the link directly when creating the issue.
If you’re adding links programmatically or designing interactive UI elements (like buttons or containers) in other systems — for example, a custom app or frontend — you can apply similar logic. For a detailed guide on making UI components interactive, check out this article on flutter clickable container.
That approach keeps your interface intuitive while maintaining Jira’s built-in restrictions.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.