Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to delete or edit a custom field in Trello?

Shelly Cohen May 24, 2018

I tried creating a custom field in Trello and want to delete it (or edit it to a different type of field). I'm not finding a way to do that. Am I stuck with it or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
Gemma December 9, 2021

I'm having the same issue as @Jamie Watson, I cannot edit the "type" of the custom field and when I re-arrange them, it does absolutely nothing. Come on Trello, sort it out!

0 votes
Michael J Cook February 12, 2021

You can delete them.  The box that comes up requests you to type in the name of the field you want to delete.  Then it allows you to do so.

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 10.48.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-12 at 10.48.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-12 at 10.47.57 AM.png

0 votes
Marta Galofre de Alos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 27, 2018

Hi Shelly,

Sorry for any confusion! You can delete/edit custom fields from the card back. Please open the card and find the "Custom Fields" button to the right-hand side. Click on it and click on the Custom Field you'd like to edit. A pop-up window will appear, and you'll be able to click on the "Delete Field" link at the bottom.

Hope that helps!

delete_edit custom fields.png

Matt Groch January 29, 2019

Clicking on a custom field in the does not bring up a pop-up. As far as I can tell, you're stuck with custom fields after they've been defined.

Gary O March 25, 2019

I don't get the option to edit my custom fields.

This is what I see.

Custom_field.png

How can I delete these custom fields?

Like Deleted user likes this
Paul_Farr May 15, 2020

My experience is the same as Matt's and Gary's — there is no such option. And I thought I was adding it to one card, only to discover that it's now on all my new cards and I can't remove it. WTH?

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user December 1, 2020

I'm having the same experience. My virtual assistant can edit the custom fields and add custom fields by opening up custom fields, scrolling to the bottom and there is the "new field" button. But, it doesn't show up on mine. I have no ability to add any custom fields. I own the program so I'm the admin. I've checked all settings and can't find anything that would "prevent me" from seeing what she is seeing, it's so frustrating and I hope someone has an answer. Thanks!

Jamie Watson February 4, 2021

I'm hoping to bump this as I am having the same issue - I can add new custom fields but I can't edit or delete ones that have already been made which is super frustrating as I made an error the first time. Maybe it's a glitch that's come up recently, but a solution would be great!

Like Gemma likes this
Felicia B Wisniewski February 23, 2021

I was also having this issue and wanted to share the solution I found. 

I too was having the problem where I was not getting the popup to appear, and the custom fields seemed locked in place. I opened Trello in an incognito window in Chrome instead, and then I was able to get the popup windows to appear. I then jumped back to my standard Chrome tabs and they seem to be working as intended and I could edit and delete as normal. I don't know if it was somehow impacted by my ad blocker and the incognito window broke through that issue somehow? Regardless, glad to have the power up working well now. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events