Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automate list color / collapse

outfinder March 24, 2024

Hi, 

I really like the new feature of being able to fold / collapse Trello lists and to add different colors to them. 

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to automate this with rules. 

Is there a way to create a button or rule so I can automatically change the color, as well as fold/open lists?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

Kr, outfinder

2 answers

1 vote
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2024

Hi @outfinder @Rembrandt Happel ,

I had prepared an advanced automation guide to do this using the Trello API.

However, Trello have made it a whole lot easier.  This is now built into Trello automation...

card repeater.gif

Rembrandt Happel April 5, 2024

Wow, thanks Mike, overlooked that while searching. I might anyway be interested in your api guide, however, should you have it available. Because now I am searching to change the list colour based on the status of a card on another board.

Do you perhaps also have trick how to move a list to the right hand side of the board, after it's created, standard on the left?

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2024

For an introduction to using the Trello API with Trello automation for more advanced capabilities, you can check out this article:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Mikes-Trello-Tips-Next-Level-Automations-Sync-Due-Date-of-linked/ba-p/2553793 

I will be breaking this down over the next couple of weeks to hopefully make it simpler to follow.

Regarding what you want to do.  You should be able to change the list colour based on a card on another board, so long as the card is linked to a card in the list that you want to change.  Something like:

When a card is marked as complete, find the first card linked in attachments and set the list color to Green

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about list being created on the left??  

Rembrandt Happel April 7, 2024

Thanks, will try.

With regard to moving the list: I create lists with Zapier. In Zapier, I can set only the board and the name of the new list, not the position. All new lists appear on the left hand side on the board.

I was hoping there is a possibility to move a list to the right hand side of the board, as soon as it is created.

outfinder April 7, 2024

Superthanks for the feedback!

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2024

Yes, you can do this but Zapier doesn't make it easy...
Zapier is probably the best in terms of app connections and simplicity but it limits this kind of thing.  HTTP requests are part of their Webhooks module, which is only available if you have paid subscription 

I would recommend  Make, it is my go-to for automation, it is more complex to get your head around compared to make but it is possible to more complex things, just like this (even on the free version)

Lists has an attribute for list position that can be set to top (left) or bottom (right) 

{"pos" : "top"}

{"pos" : "bottom"}

This API url would set the list at the end...

https://api.trello.com/1/lists?name={name}&idBoard=5abbe4b7ddc1b351ef961414&pos=bottom&key=APIKey&token=APIToken

However, you can create lists using automation in Trello. Can you explain what your Zapier automation is and I'm sure I can probably help you to set the automation to move the list using Trello automation

Rembrandt Happel April 8, 2024

Thanks for the Make tip. I have a tonne of zaps in Zapier though, changing will be a lot of work.

Zapier doesn't support that List position, unfortunately. Only parameter is List Name.

My automation is as follows: I push a board button on Board 1. That sends a payload to a web hook in Zapier, that has a new row made in a spreadsheet. The Row number from that spreadsheet is then used for a list on Board 2. Which appears on the left and not on the right, where I want it.

I can not use the "Make List" function from Trello Automation, because at that point I don't know the List Name yet.

However, I had a Quick Look at your API guide, I think that will help me. Zapier can send a payload to Trello with the List Name and Position and the Trello API can then make the list.

Thanks a lot!

Like Dreamsuite Mike likes this
1 vote
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2024

Collapsing lists happens as a browser action so no but you can automate the list colour with an automation http set...

I will write a guide for this tomorrow and link to it

outfinder March 24, 2024

Wow, superthanks Mike!

Looking forward to it. 

Like Rembrandt Happel likes this
Rembrandt Happel April 1, 2024

Curious to know too.

outfinder April 7, 2024

I understand now that collapsing lists is browser specific; I see it is only possible with one of the browsers I use (Firefox) . 

Does this mean that there is no way to automate this at all? Or just not native to Trello. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events