It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Why is Trello so painfully slow?

I have a Trello board with ~200 cards in 11 lists, and since approx. 2 weeks adding/updating a card is painfully slow. Also scrolling down/up in a list isn't smooth anymore. 

I installed React Dev Tools in Chrome recently, and just wanted to check if that might be the root cause. Anyone else in the community experiencing this?

Cheers

10 answers

Hi, i'm working for a company that actually has a huge board and in this moment there are various colleagues that can't even use the app (including myself) because it freezes til it crashes.

I've tested it in my laptop in Ubuntu 16.04 and in my Desktop with W10, in both Chrome and Firefox and the app is still unusable.

10 april 2020,, i also exprienced very painful slow....

please...urgent...i need to open trello to do some task...

how to open trello?

As someone who works on a team with 25+ boards and over 10,000 cards, I can tell you this is definitely a Trello problem. The same issue happens in Incognito with no extensions and in all browsers. Trello just wasn't build to handle this.

Thinking about looking at alternatives.

Unfortunately, I cannot vouch for any solution/answer at this stage but would like to know from Trello/Atlassian if there is any progress and action happening in terms of speeding up Trello?

I admin a few boards as well. 1 board has about 500 cards while another has 233 ... but the one with 233 is slow and lagging and often crashing the Chrome tab at times.

Please advise?

Yep, I'll second this. In the last 6 months there seem to be some serious issue around performance. Reloading the window in frustration temporarily works and then it becomes unresponsive again.

Like other comments, I have disabled all extensions and run in incognito as a test. I'm on a 2017 top spec Macbook Pro so processing power is not the issue ....

Like Marco likes this

Does anyone have any suggestions of comparable platforms?  Really like Trello but our company just cannot function this slow. 

Hi there

I'm not experiencing any slowness issues, and I haven't come across other complains of the same either.  It sounds like a browser extension may be the root cause. Either disable the extension or launch Trello in an incognito tab without extensions and see if the issue persists.  If not, then it's certainly the extension you recently installed.

It takes 60 sec for the app to initialize on latest Chrome on OS X 10.14.5 Mojave. Subsequent clicks are fast.  

0 votes

Their current plan seems to be to kill their product with features. 

A potential solution for Trello is to remove as many features as possible until boards can render.

0 votes
keyun_Ren I'm New Here May 07, 2020

I experienced the slow when I open on Safari, and then I change it to Chrome, everything seems fine again.

try to change the browser and see how it works 

We use Chrome - super slow still

I've had a lot of progress with my boards recently. I did this by using the network tab on inspect element to record the entire DOM load of a trello board (which for me was around 4 minutes!), saving this as a .har file and including it as a linked attachment to a trello bug report. They released a fix (which they were already apparently working) and my board load time went down to around 6 seconds, which was amazing. So I suggest spamming their bug reports with heaps of data.

0 votes

Each click takes at least 1sec on my board. This is in best case. It may take up to 10sec. Lucky I have a powerful i5 inside my computer. I can't imagine those with less power.

I miss times where trello had the exact same features but was lightning fast.

I find it slow too. I type ahead of what prints on the screen with Trello. Also, when I go back to make corrections I am unable to see the cursor for 2-3 seconds so I do not know where I am in the text to make a correction until I wait it out.

Only 10 seconds? It's taking me up to 10 *minutes* to load a card! Our board has 17 lists with anywhere from 4 to 221 cards per list. And I can't do anything to reduce this number, because that decision is up to management, and they insist we have everything on a single board.

Is there any other software we could be using that can handle this volume? This is really eating into my productivity.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

Develop a new Habit during Lockdown

If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello

1,616 views 15 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you