Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to revert Trello visual change and remove the left "wokspace" sidebar?

Vladan September 17, 2021

I made a huge mistake by switching to new Trello looks and I do not like the left "workspace" sidebar. It is completely useless for me. I use vertical monitor for Trello and after sidebar was added (even when folded) I cannot see whole 4 columns as I was able to see before. Now the fourth column is only partially visible and it is frustrating.

How can I revert to previsous Trello visuals without the left "workspace" sidebar?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2021

You should be able to collapse it by clicking the arrows next to the team name, or pressing the  "[" key.

image.png

Roxy September 17, 2021

That just hides the sidebar. I don't want to hide the sidebar from view. I want the sidebar to disappear (go away entirely) and revert back to the original navigation.

This new navigation is terrible for me. Just hiding the sidebar does not fix that. I want to use the old navigation before the sidebar was created. How do I revert the change backwards?

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2021

I just saw someone else post that they reached out to support and you can go here to turn it off. 

http://trello.com/{{my user name}}/labs 

Like # people like this
Alex Waite
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2021

Hi @Brittany Joiner and @Roxy, this solution will only work until this change has been completely rolled out, then users will all be converted to the new navigation. 

I would love to share your feedback with the team! I've sent this community post to our team. If you have anything to add, feel free to add it to this thread. 

Vladan September 19, 2021

Thank you @Brittany Joiner , http://trello.com/"myusername"/labs is the way to hide the sidebar for now. I can finally work as normal and see most of the 4th column on my second vertical monitor!

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2021

@Alex Waite since you’re sharing this, i just want the records to show I actually DO like the sidebar 😂, was just posting here with a link I found for shutting it off since other were asking 

Like Alex Waite likes this
Cirtoyt September 21, 2021

I'd like to add I too was welcomed to the new side bar today and instantly want to turn it off. I absolutely hate how when collapsed, the whole left of the screen has this horrid 50% alpha layer going on which completely agitates me so much so that I'm going to disable it for as long as I can with the labs solution posted above.

As feedback, I can see the benefits for those with a lot of workspaces and for when it is open, but dedicating a whole slice of screen on the left to a supposedly collapsed bar is downright not collapsed and out of the way. When I'm scrolling my board left and right across my columns the left 50% alpha layer just constantly half covers whatever is there and whenever I flick my mouse over the bar as I'm scrolling, it flickers instantly white, only adding to the visual eye sore. You may say 'just don't flick your mouse over so much', but if I have my board in a window on my second monitor, I'm going to be moving my mouse over the bar constantly and that is reeeally building up in how annoying that white flickering is getting. As far as I can tell when collapsed, only a little square logo of the current workspace is shown and a little arrow to show you that the bar can be expanded is there, which by my standards does not justify adding a whole column of space taken away from users. I'd say you should move this into a button that fits into the top bar, maybe in the top left corner instead, allowing the whole bar to just not be there when collapsed, but instead you would just have a button to opening it or not, that doesn't constantly take up space and annoy users. Let me make myself clear, I see the benefits of the side bar, I'm not saying to remove it from the side, I'm saying to remove this horribly irritating fake 'collapsed' visual effect that is only triggering for users and to actually hide the bar entirely when it isn't out and in use. Hell, if you want to keep the workspace logo at the top next to the 'Boards v ' dropdown button, go for it! I'd say you should have it right there! but, I don't want it taking up a whole vertical slice of my screen to only irritate me with half covering columns and constantly show a flickering white line every time my mouse crosses over it. If you still want it to be a thing, at least provide a setting to toggle if it's a whole vertical bar when collapsed or if it's a button, then set the default to whichever is more popularly used (I imagine you should be able to track these stats), ensuring new users get used to the more agreed upon preference by the majority, yet still allowing users to choose which they prefer. Maybe even include the settings option in the tutorial bubbles. Either way, I think it would be so much better if it was a button for the above reasons, but if I had to compromise with having a toggle option instead, I'd toggle it instantly as a button and never go back thank you very much!

Like James Trimbee likes this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2021

What am I missing here? I know people are talking about it taking up so much space, but i literally never even notice it. I have it collapsed most of the time and it takes up about 46 pixels of space on the left side. 

image.png

Like Alex Waite likes this
Andrew Brett Stevens September 24, 2021

@Brittany Joiner Can you post the link again?  getting a @404 not found.  I need to revert as trello has become unusable , soooo much lag on everything since I updated.  Thanks

Like # people like this
czukowski September 25, 2021

@Alex Waiteif you're still interested in feedback, here's one 😀

I actually like the new top navigation, it seems to be much more concise than before 👍

But I don't get the sidebar on the left at all. It's exactly the same as one of the menus on top, and it comes with only two buttons, just like on a screenshot by @Brittany Joiner above, as a result it just takes up monitor space without adding anything useful to it. The most important core Trello function, the multi-column layout, is designed to use horizontal space efficiently, it is so important for Trello to work well, that taking any part of it away, even just as narrow as this, should come only after a very careful consideration! Also some of us use vertical monitor layouts or not having browser windows expanded all the way for some reason, so a horizontal space comes at a premium as it is. In scenarios like these, any extra sidebars will likely make users to scroll horizontally where they didn't have to before and it is not a very good thing.

I can imagine it may be useful for those who have tons of workspaces and need to switch constantly between them, but is it really how most of Trello users have it and is this the way how they want to use it? Personally, if I had more workspaces to work with, I'd just have more browser tabs open, hands down. Much better than having to switch between them, I think.

In conclusion, I strongly feel that this sidebar should be optional. Those users who find it useful would keep using it, and those others would not lose any of the functionality disabling it, as it's still easily available from the top navigation one click away, while still having their precious monitor space available for use.

Like Laura Ventura likes this
IceXuick September 28, 2021

This removal/revert through /labs just saved my life!
Thank you so much!!

0 votes
Deleted user November 10, 2021

Does anybody have an update on this? I'm about 6 weeks late to this thread...

When I type in http://trello.com/myusername/labs all it shows is this:

Help us test these new features before they are released to all users. Remember, these features aren't completely finished and you may experience changes or bugs.

There are no features that are currently available to test. 

Help?

Alex Waite
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2021

Hey Ryan, we've now moved into the phase that all users are being pushed to the new navigation, even those who have opted out. This is to ensure all users are using the latest version of Trello. 

Soma Horváth November 13, 2021

Hi, @Alex Waite 

I'm late here too. I use multiple workspaces owned by multiple users. I used to be able to quickly locate the card I want to use, but in this new view I can only see the boards on one workspace at the time. I spend a lot of time on Trello trying to manage a lot of cards on different boards, and it extremely frustrating having to open all the workspaces trying to figure out which card is on which workspace.

Any chance of showing all cards on the left side just as before???

many thanks,

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2021

@Andrew Brett Stevens it's not the exact link - you'll have to customize it and put your username in there: 

http://trello.com/myusername/labs -- where it says "myusername" type your username (mine is britt_joiner, so my URL would look like http://trello.com/britt_joiner/labs

Andrew Brett Stevens September 27, 2021

Yeah, I worked it out in the end, kinda embarrassed it took a couple of looks  #🤦‍♂️ Thanks

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2021

@Andrew Brett Stevens hahah no worries at all - i never know the most helpful way to share variables like that, everyone has their own syntax preferences, so there's not a clear way 😂 Glad you were able to find it!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events