Using Butler to copy Custom Fields from one board to others on a list

Suzy Veilleux January 15, 2020

I would like to use Butler to copy custom field values on one card to other cards on a particular list.   I can't seem to find a way with the existing commands, but wanted to see if someone else had thoughts about how I might do this.   

Also, how often do the Butler automations run?  Nightly?   just wondering if there's something I need to do to "kick off" the automation or if just happens once a rule is saved.

4 answers

1 vote
WG Trello Admin March 28, 2021

I found this approach worked really well for me to copy one custom field value into the same custom field on another board.

"when custom field "xxxx" is set, for each card linked in the attachments, set custom field "xxxx" to "{customfieldvalue}"

Answer was from this thread https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Access-Custom-Field-Variables-of-another-Card-in-Butler/qaq-p/1431814#U1649896

0 votes
Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2020

Instead of duplicate all datas, why don't you just link the cards with the overview card ?

Or you can consider that the cards are sub tasks (items) of the overview card. In this case you can apply the princip of dependencies 

See this :

https://help.trello.com/article/1165-task-dependencies

0 votes
Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2020

Just can you say if the overview card is added first and completed before adding the other cards 

0 votes
Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2020

Hi, 

First you need to link, the specific list with the triggercard. 

Then you can propagate the update

For this, create 2 rules 

when a card is added to list "specific list", find a card titled "MyCard", and link the cards together

when custom field "MyField" is set, for each card linked in the attachments, set custom field "menu" to "{{%Myfield}}"
Suzy Veilleux January 17, 2020

So I'm really trying to figure out how to do this in the tool but seem to be getting stuck with the 2nd rule (honestly I"m not sure if I have the first part set up correctly either).    I understand the logic yet can't seem to find the same commands that you're using.   Am I missing something obvious ?

Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2020

Make sur that your trello account allows more than one rule.

https://help.trello.com/article/1181-butler-features-and-quotas

Then specify the rules that you use and give a screenshot of your board.

Suzy Veilleux January 17, 2020

OK, I made some progress - I think the difference in what you were suggesting and what I need is that I need these fields to copy down every time they get filled in on the "top" card called Project Overview.  I *think* I may have figured it out, but I'm not seeing the data propagate the way I expected so I may not have it right now.  Attaching a screenshot of the rules plus what I'm trying to do.20200117 Butler Rule.png20200117 Screenshot showing what I'm trying to do.png

Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2020

Ok.

Forget what I have suggested.

There is something easier.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events