cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Custom Field Variables of another Card in Butler

Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2020

Is there a way to directly access custom field variables such as {{%this}} in Butler, but in conjunction with Find/Lookup? Some equivalent of {found{%this}}?? {{found%this}}???

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2020

Not exactly—right now, Custom Fields variables like that {{%foo}} will only return the value of the current card Butler is looking at. For example, if you tell Butler to

WG Trello Admin March 28, 2021

That worked Brilliantly for me. thank you!

copy one custom field value into the same custom field on another board.
"when custom field "xxxx" is set, for each card linked in the attachments, set custom field "xxxx" to "{customfieldvalue}""

Robin Moore April 19, 2022

Trello custom fields are just asinine, even more so in Butler. I want to lookup a card on the Contacts board to auto-fill contact info on new cards on my Orders board, and I managed to do it with a bunch of rules but it's slow and clunky. The ability to pass custom fields between cards is badly needed.

0 votes
Diego Juzgado October 15, 2023

I have discovered a method to accomplish your desired task, although it may involve some complexity. The key idea is to add items to a checklist using the values from the custom fields you intend to use after performing the "find-lookup" operation. Subsequently, you can employ the itemlistname to populate other custom fields in different cards or boards. Following this, you can delete the previously created checklist.

Take a look at this automation card button:

add an empty checklist named "VMem" to the card, add item "{{%NHistoria}}" to checklist "VMem", create a new card with title "{cardname}" in list "Activos" on board "Pacientes", link the cards together, find the first card linked in the attachments, for each checklist item in a checklist named "VMem", find the first card linked in the attachments, set custom field "NHistoria" to "{checklistitemname}", find the first card linked in the attachments, remove all the items from checklist "VMem", add item "{{%Telefonos}}" to checklist "VMem", find the first card linked in the attachments, set custom field "Telefonos" to "{checklistitemname}", find the first card linked in the attachments, remove the "VMem" checklist from the card, and unlink the cards

You can repeat this process as many times as necessary for other custom fields.

While it may not be straightforward to grasp, it functions flawlessly for me. Perhaps someone else could streamline it even further.

0 votes
michaja_broertjes September 9, 2020

Not sure if this is anything like you're looking for, but I found a way to create a sum total off a custom field set in multiple cards in a certain list.

The use case is for invoicing, so I have one list called 'Line items' and one (empty) list called 'Total'. When a card is added to 'Total', Butler will rename the card to 'Total', link all the cards in 'Line items' and then for each linked card set the custom field 'Subtotal' to the value of 'Subtotal'. This doesn't change the value but it will cause another rule to trigger, because it triggers whenever the custom field 'Subtotal' is set. That rule then finds the card 'Total' and updates a custom field 'Total' with the value of 'Total' + {customfieldvalue}. So this only works with the first card in the list 'Total'.

Here are the two rules:

when a card is added to list "Total" by anyone, rename the card to "Total", collect all cards in list "Line items" into linked items in checklist "Line items", for each card linked from an item in checklist "Line items", set custom field "Subtotal" to "{{%Subtotal}}"
when custom field "Subtotal" is set by anyone, find a card titled "Total" in list "Total", and set custom field "Total" to "{{%Total}} + {customfieldvalue}"

michaja_broertjes September 9, 2020

I just added this extra action to the first rule:

find a card titled "Total" in list "Total", and remove the "Line items" checklist from the card

This removes the checklist that was created earlier, but maybe you like it if it stays with the card, so it's optional.

Andy McAfee February 21, 2022

@michaja_broertjes Wow! Brilliant. Thanks for the idea.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events