Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirect Jira issues URLs to Mac OS App

Guille April 27, 2020

Hello guys, 

Currently starting to use the Application after the OS update to Catalina. 

Is there a way that I can redirect the Jira issue links to open in the Mac App instead of browser?

Thanks a lot,

3 answers

1 vote
stephen.lang March 31, 2021

If you use Chrome, install the "Redirector" extension and create a rule:

screenshot.png

If you still want to use Jira in the browser and only have direct issue links open in the app, include "browse/" in the "Include pattern" and "Redirect to".

Nathan Heller September 13, 2021

Hi @stephen.lang

I installed the Redirector extension and created a redirect according to your screenshot. However Jira links are still opening in Chrome only. Is there anything I could be missing? Does the "$1" portion of the redirect link indicate something specific?

stephen.lang September 14, 2021

Hi @Nathan Heller - the redirect doesn't seem to always work if you're browsing the Jira web interface, try navigating to an issue and duplicating the tab (or copy/pasting the issue URL into a new tab) - this might trigger the redirect. The same should work if you right-click an issue link and open in new tab.

If you're clicking a direct issue link from outside of the Jira web interface then hopefully the redirect should work too.

Also be sure that Redirector is "on" (i.e. click the extension icon and press Enable Redirector if it is disabled/"off") and that the Jira redirect rule itself is also enabled.

The "$1" is the matched portion of the URL, so in the screenshot above that would be equal to "browse/AV-12224" because of the position of the "*" in the include pattern being after the trailing slash following the hostname.

0 votes
alexandre.lissowski February 17, 2021

Do you know how to revert this?

Tony Chang April 1, 2021

Please help me turn this off. The Jira App comment field is tiny and unusable. Do I have to just uninstall the app?

alexandre.lissowski April 1, 2021

I uninstall it and it now works. You can reinstall it afterward, the automatic link between Safari and the app will be broken.

0 votes
Simon Stiefel
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2020

Hi Guille,

If you open a Jira page (e.g. an issue) in Safari after you installed the app, you should see a banner at the top of the website asking if the OS should open Jira links in the app rather than the browser. The banner does not show up in Chrome or any other browser but it only needs to be confirmed once.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Simon

Dileep_Pothanchery June 7, 2020

This is not working for me.  I am not getting any banner on safari. 

scott@netparadigms.com June 15, 2020

@Simon Stiefel thanks for your feedback back in April.

Any updates to this - especially for Chrome on OSX?

thank you sir!

Scott

Like # people like this
scott@netparadigms.com November 2, 2020

@Simon Stiefel Hope you are well. 

Is there any way to re-force Safari to offer (again) the banner choice to use the OSX APP instead of the browser for Jira links clicked?

The OSX APP is still not being utilized by OSX 10.15.7 - but rather takes me to Chrome since I use that as my browser choice.

Thanks for feedback!

Scott

Brian Dunn November 12, 2020

@Guille 

Safari didn't get the banner until I made it the default browser. You can't paste a link into the safari url, you have to follow the link into safari to trigger the banner.

This worked for me:

• Change default browser to Safari.
  • Follow a jira issue link.
  • Click the "open in the jira app" open button.
  • Change default browser back to whatever

jira links still open in the (way faster than the browser) app.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events