Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting data from description field

Lyndsey Fletcher August 24, 2022

Hi. So I am using the email to board system for incoming email leads.... the lead details all come into the description field.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use butler to extract certain details and update the card name and also update customer fields? If it is possible - can someone give me a steer on how. Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2022

@Lyndsey Fletcher 

Please see your test board. I have completed parsing with native Trello wildcard card method and set the custom fields on the card. 
Thank you for your support. 

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2022

@Lyndsey Fletcher yes this is absolutely possible! You can reference the entire name and description with the variables - {carddescription} and {cardname} to get that text  and update specific custom fields with that info!

If you want to reference specific things inside of that, aka, the card description has some text that says "emai: xyz@gmail.com", and you want to grab zyx@gmail.com,  you can technically do this with some regex. @milynnus explained this other day for someone - let me see if i can find that answer and I'll post it in here. 

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2022

I have been going round in circles with this and wildcard variables and still haven’t got it to work! this is how my data comes in. I want to update the card name with the business name then add then rest of the details to the custom fields 🤯

0E25D559-90B5-48BE-BA46-ED52C9BFEF9E.png

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

@Lyndsey Fletcher are you trying to return the whole description? or just part of it? and can you share some screenshots of the rules you've got set up right now that aren't working? if so i can try to take a look and help debug!

I have updated with a screen shot on my last post. I am just cooking dinner then will post my failed attempts! 

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

@Lyndsey Fletcher ah i see the screenshot of the card now - didn't appear at first. so i assume you're trying to get name to go to name field, company to company, etc. 

My first thought is - if you want something a little simpler - have you thought about using the Zapier Email Parser? I think it would be free - depending on volume of your emails. and you would be able to highlight that text from the email and create a card in trello with those fields and map it to custom fields. let me know if you need a dem - I'm actually working with a client on that right now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events