Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emailing into trello with custom fields

Graeme Copestake July 29, 2022

Hello - I currently use the butler automation to email in from outlook to create cards. This helps with a zero inbox. When I email the card I add the date and time at the front of the subject line and #colour which helps drop it into lists (delegate / plan / future ideas). 

however, I want to start using custom fields to help manage concepts / projects I have, rather than just treating everything like a task. 

So, what do I need to do when I send the email and what special automation do I need to do in trello to start capturing custom fields. 

this will also help with swimlanes too!

I am a novice at this so please explain as if I have a low reading age 😀

thanks in advance team!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2022

@Graeme Copestake 

Here's an example and the card

when a card with a description starting with "{*}={*}\n{*}" is emailed into list "Inbox", set custom field "{wildcard1}" to "{wildcard2}"

Body of the email looks like this

Name=Peter Pan

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 8.36.21 PM.jpg

Hello - thanks for this. I am not sure what this means - how do I use the automation tool to build this? I am not sure how you are using the Name=Peter Pan - is that in the subject line?

Is there a video on you tube for this sort of thing?

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2022

@Graeme Copestake 

Sounds like you need some quick start tutorial @Brittany Joiner , I know you have some introductory Trello automation video. 

Like • Graeme Copestake likes this

Thanks! is the Name=Peter Pan in the subject line?

Also, is the word 'Name' a custom field title and is 'Peter Pan' a customfield output already defined?

Thank you

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2022

@Graeme Copestake 

Email to board - the email body goes to card description and yes, Name is a text custom field. 

Like • Graeme Copestake likes this

Great. Thanks. 

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2022

@Graeme Copestake hey there! saw your question on youtube :) i took a stab at trying to answer it with Zapier: https://www.loom.com/share/e9828e056d5f440c93ac8ab1764c60b2

Here's the zap if you want to copy it and set it up for each horizon/time : https://zapier.com/shared/83fae912f1c8a88b4083928de3d7fa3ba74121d0

I tried doing the regex and wildcards with Butler, which seems like an easier solution, but i was struggling to get it to only pull in the rest of the line and not the rest of the email after the = sign, so hopefully you had better luck with me than that, but if not feel free to use this zap!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events