Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card repeater: can it change the due date?

Max Levine May 3, 2018

I've got a few cards on monthly repeat. 

This is good. 

But now that they're repeating, they seem to maintain the due date of the original card.  So, for instance, I created the original set of cards on April 1, due April 10.  My monthly repeated cards have now been created May 1, but they're showing as due on April 10. 

This is bad.

Is there a way to have card repeater automatically make the due date identical in a relative sense -- i.e., X days after the card is auto-created) -- instead of this?

8 answers

5 votes
Richard July 23, 2020

I agree that adding the ability to set relative due dates within the Card Repeater power-up would be extremely helpful. Where else can I go to request this?

2 votes
Ori Shilon December 15, 2019

Support this feature also.

2 votes
paulsingh March 20, 2019

paulsingh March 20, 2019

We too have found the repeater power-up essentially useless without this feature.

Fortunately, the Butler power-up's Calendar scheduler allows card creation on a set schedule with rule based due dates.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Marta Galofre de Alos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2018

Hi Max,

That's definitely a good point. As of right now, it's not possible to set relative due dates with the card repeater although we appreciate this would be very useful. I’ll pass your interest in this on to our team for consideration—let me know if there's any additional info you'd like for me to send their way.

If you're curious about how our team decides on what requests we work on, this article gives some insight into that process: http://help.trello.com/article/724-submitting-feature-requests-for-trello
If you'd like to see our latest features and releases you can take a look at our dev board at http://www.trello.com/dev

Cheers,

Marta

Deleted user November 16, 2018

I assume this is still not possible? I'd like to have another way to bug myself so I actually do some annoying tasks.

Given the other threads (e.g. Trello- Can I set a recurring Due Date?) I assume you are aware of this but I'd like to support this feature.

In fact the "Card Repeater" power up was the first power up I ever tried. I assume others are not that different so this might get you a couple of new paying users when they notice they can only use on power up in their free boards. :-)

Tony Provenzano May 29, 2019

I have the same issue... hoping the dev team can act on this!

0 votes
Soren Madsen February 15, 2021

This card repeater Power-up has no function without copying content.

• You won't see the repeated task in your calendar unless a due date is assigned/repeated

Only way is to use Butler and create a rule

Please ignore Trello's own section "Automatically Changing Due Dates with Butler" that advise to use Butler to fix this Power Ups lacking feature, because that would create overflow and logic will break

If you need to repeat tasks with due dates, disable this extension and create the rules needed using Butler only

Create cards, and set rules for each card individually. 

Nicholas Green October 13, 2021

I use the Power Up to repeat a card (e.g. "To do"), and then Butler to add a due date to a card whose name is "To do". Seems to work so far, and doesn't change the due dates on existing cards, only those which are newly created.

0 votes
Sarah Boyd February 9, 2021

Totally agree this is a needed feature 

0 votes
Jim Eaton January 4, 2021

Wish there was a great answer for this.  Butler tasks might work but they seem confusing and not user friendly / intuitive. I added the repeater Powerup expecting it to update due dates when a card repeats. Otherwise there's almost no point to a repeating card. Really disappointed, and looking forward to an update. 

0 votes
DanDoes July 23, 2020

Posting because maybe others may find this helpful:

Trello released the Card Repeater power-up back in Sept 2016, and then at some point after that, decided that due dates weren't important: they >officially recommend< everyone make Butler commands to change it yourself.

Insane choice on their part, as you only get one Butler rule on the free plan, just like you only get one power-up, which duh you're already using up just to repeat cards (btw WHY is that not considered a core feature??) I guess they really want to make people feel forced to pay for these basic features that are completely free on other services.

Richard July 23, 2020

I can see that. Maybe they should offer this relative date feature for people that pay for business class then.

Jan Booth October 2, 2023

What I am trying:

1. Recurring power up adds a new card to the bottom of the recurring list based on the recurrence interval.

2. Add butler rules to set the due date to the following week when a new card is added to the recurring list with 'weekly' in the title.

3. Add butler rules to set the due date to the following month when a new card is added to the recurring list with 'monthly' in the title.

4. Add butler rules to set the due date to the same date three months out when a new card is added to the recurring list with 'quarterly' in the title. 

What I am expecting to happen is the user works the current copy on the due date and then closes it.  The copy with the new due date whatever interval away stays on the board with the new due date to generate the next card from the repeat power up.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events