Can you disable image attachments from automatically becoming the cover?

Ian Mayor September 3, 2020

When I add an image attachment to a card, Trello automatically also makes the image the cards cover.  Is there any way to disable this feature?

3 answers

7 votes
Marnick Menting January 27, 2023

You can't disable it, but you can add an automation to Butler to immediately remove it after uploading an attachment. It will shortly blink as card header.

I set the following rule and it seems to work:

CleanShot 2023-01-27 at 11.08.57.png

GJB Technik February 15, 2023

This is pure gold, thx a ton!!! :)

Like Michelle Columbus likes this
Marnick Menting February 15, 2023

@GJB Technik Thanks, then vote to move the answer up :)

1 vote
Demis D_ John December 19, 2022

Bump on original question - any way to disable this “feature” which automatically sets the first uploaded image as the card cover? It’s overwriting the color covers I use in my templates and doesn’t make sense for our usage, where the uploaded images are part of the card discussion, not to display on the cover. 

to be clear I am still using covers on the board (for color tagging), and we upload images on occasion. just want to turn off the *automatic* setting of uploaded image —> card cover, but still have the ability to do so I we want to. 

Like Demis D_ John likes this
Demis D_ John February 15, 2023

Thanks! I appreciate you posting that, good fix 

1 vote
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2020

@Ian Mayor yep:

2020-09-03 at 9.31 pm.png

Ian Mayor September 3, 2020

Thanks, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.  That turns off card covers completely.  I want the covers to display if they are set, but I only want them to be set if I explicitly set a card cover.  What I want to turn off is having an image attachment automatically becoming the cover when I upload it.

Like Demis D_ John likes this
BJ Thompson February 10, 2022

Same question.  Looking for an answer or a fix or a new option in a future update if possible. I checked in automation as well but doesn't seem to be any options related adding card covers or removing them in automation.

Like Hugo van de Vliert likes this
Spike Allibone March 21, 2022

Card Covers Enabled.... this DOES look like it will work for me....

the ability to turn them all on and off with a click would be great - but I can't find this option anywhere on Mac OS.

I have a board with hundreds of celebrities (an invite management for an event). I need to see what they all look like sometimes (attachment covers enabled) - then other times I need to turn them all off with one click - the above option looks like it'll work - but I'm damned if I can find it!

Help!

BJ Thompson March 21, 2022

Hi Spike,  you should be covered for your request, it does that allready.  Try this to find it.  In trello on your board select "Show menu" then "... more" then "Settings" and it's the second option "Card covers enabled" which toggles them on and off.

Like # people like this
Spike Allibone March 21, 2022

You Star! - Thank you so much. Sorted!

Sx

PSi February 29, 2024

On a group I'm only a member of, at the option to hide the card covers is deliberately disabled ("Card covers enabled" is on but is grayed out), but I can delete individual covers (permanently). What advantage there is to me -- or to anybody -- in not allowing me to non-permanently hide the space consuming covers from my view?

What if the cover picture is one of the attached images on the card, will the attachment also be deleted from the card attachments if I remove a card cover that is one of the card attachments?

(typing on mobile phone -- sorry for typos)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events