What I will miss with moving Trello discussion community from Slack

Nancy Creighton August 16, 2019

I get it. I do. It's completely natural and efficient to bring the Trello discussion group from Slack to a new home in the Atlassian community. And I'll get used to it. But here's what I'll miss for now:

If I've got a big project going, I'll do that first. But if not, I'll open my Slack desktop app to see if anything's happening I need to know about, or I'll open it because I need to write something in one of my workspaces. The Trello community workspace on Slack is one of 10 workspaces that open when I run the app. I'll see there's unread messages and this makes it easy for me to dip in and see what's new, and it feels like a discussion, it feels casual. There's a passive aspect to it, where I can see which channels have new messages, and then choose to read them now, or later.

I've only been here for a few minutes and it feels more like a help desk. Instead of channels, we have tags, instead of browsing we have search. It's a much more active experience-- which is great when you've got a problem to solve, or need ideas from the crowd. But now it's harder when I just want to keep in touch, see whatever comes to light, learn new things that I didn't know I wanted to learn about. It loses the hallway/water cooler experience that Slack provided. 

Yes, I can bookmark the Trello page, and set up alerts for specific tags. I have to decide to go look at them rather than have them come to me, and no I don't want them coming to me in the form of emails. Does anyone have any ideas of how to set up the new format so there's an easy browsing experience similar to the feel of Slack?

Nancy Creighton

6 comments

cjrasmussen August 17, 2019

This 100% matches how I used the Trello Community Slack and my concerns about switching to the Atlassian community.

Right now I'm trying things out by having the new RSS feeds pulled into my reader.  It's less than ideal but retains that passive monitoring element of the Slack community (and, honestly, there's no way I'm signing up for all this to come into my email).  Maybe this is something that would work for others looking to replicate the old experience.

That said, it's absolutely no help with regards to the Developer Community, which is most relevant to me and has been shunted off in to an RSS-less area of it's own.

My expectation, based on this, is that eventually I'll stop following this community via RSS because it's not the content I'm most interested in, and then I'll never actually check in on the Developer Community because there's no passive way to follow it.  Trying not to be all "change is bad" about this but I know how I work and this doesn't work for me as-is.

Like Nancy Creighton likes this
Nancy Creighton August 17, 2019

RSS -- I stopped using it so long ago, I don't remember why. Perhaps I should look into again as a work around. -- Nancy C.

Like Bridget likes this
cjrasmussen August 17, 2019

There's the Slack RSS app.  Could us that to pull the feeds from here into a different Slack group.  Fake the old functionality.  Just a thought.

Nancy Creighton August 17, 2019

Will look into that, thanks!

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2019

What I'm planning to do is bookmark the trello section and periodically open up and skim, and "watch" any threads that are interesting to me (watching will send email updates about anything happening in that thread). 

You can also set up email notifications - but be careful cause if you're like me, you'll get excited and set up ALL the email notifications and it will be too overwhelming and you'll start ignoring all the emails. They're helpful, just try to be selective. 

Also, i do think you can do some cool stuff with forwarding emails and things into Slack, so if you wanted to get fancy you could probably set up some automation that would feed all the trello community things into a slack channel of another workspace. 

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2019

Hi @Nancy Creighton I completely understand where you are coming from. I was a very active member of the Trello slack community, and loved it for all of the reasons you specify. I decided to move over to the Atlassian community last year and it took me a while to integrate.

However looking back I am so happy I made the leap. Not only does this community have Trello enthusiasts, it also has incredible folks that are fluent in all of the other Atlassian products, and it has opened my eyes to new ideas and possibilities.

I have my system set to search for the word Trello, and then I sort by questions, discussions and articles (or all three) and do a quick scroll each day or week to see if I can lend a hand, jump in on a discussion, solve a problem I have or learn something new. 

I wrote this post "Three Things I Wish I'd Known" when joining the Atlassian community, which discusses the size of the community (and although it is massive it still has a small town feel),  the achievement badges (these are addictive), and making time for fun (no matter how busy we are). 

I know the Atlassian Community Team is always listening and looking for ways to make this community tool the best user experience possible, please continue to share your thoughts on ways to improve and make this a place that you will want to spend time.

Thanks again for sharing Nancy and I look forward to more posts from you.

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2019

@Nancy Creighton I know I already responded on Slack, but I just wanted to reiterate here that your point is well taken, and that I'll continue to be here to guide y'all through this transition. Humans like @Brittany Joiner and @Jodi LeBlanc have been incredible trailblazers for us in this new space, and I just know that once you start to dive into some of the threads, you'll find many folks with similar interests. I also encourage you to check out our "Three Things" series, where people have offered what they wish they had known in their first few days here. Thank you again for sharing! 🙌🏼

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 19, 2019

Hello @Nancy Creighton

Bridget here, I manage content for the Atlassian Community. I know it's certainly a change from Slack to the Community. I find that the more I browse, the more familiar I become with other users (like you!) which makes the Community feel a bit smaller and cozier.

I'd recommend you check out the weekly #Friday-Fun threads. A ton of our most active members chime in on those, so it's an amazing place to meet folks. Also, just by reading your initial thoughts above, I know you'd be well suited for the Atlassian Author program. (@Jodi LeBlanc could tell you a thing or two about that as well!) 

Your thoughts truly matter to us + we're happy to have you in our (expanding) Community. Talk soon,

Bridget 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 19, 2019

@Nancy Creighton another community manager jumping in here (👋🏻) but I wondered if you could clarify what you mean by "if anything's happening I need to know about." What types of things would fall into this category?

I've got some ideas on how to make it easier for you and others to follow announcements and such, but I would love examples so I make sure I'm addressing it in the best way. 

Like # people like this
Nancy Creighton August 22, 2019

Just FYI, I'm still here, not ignoring you. Have had other things, plus I'm trying to step out of myself and observe how I use Slack so I can be more specific. 

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events