how can i track the percentage of completion of an epic in Jira next gen?

Luca Orciuolo July 10, 2019

Hello,

I would like to know if there's an add-on or else that can help me to track the percentage of completion of an epic (I don't mind about stories and sub tasks).

I would like to manage the progresses of epics and transfer it to excel automatically while keep tracking and working on my project in Jira next gen.

hope you can help me, thank you

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2019

How are you measuring "completion"?

Luca Orciuolo July 12, 2019

Well, I actually don't know yet. I was thinking I could create a ratio based on story points estimate but it's not a real solution since it is a "weight" not a measure of time.

Another thing i thought was creating a simple ratio based on start and finish date [(today-start date)/(finish date- start date)] but in this case i would make a strong assumption stating the same amount of work performed each day.

In this sense, I would like your suggestion.

Thank you

Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2019

@Luca Orciuolo we've introduced a progress bar in the issue view over the Child issues panel. This is currently using issue count only, and we are investigating making this a toggle for story points estimation as well.

Cheers

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2019

There are a couple of ways to track "progress", but it very much depends on your processes and what you really think it is.

Your idea about start and end date is quite good, as it's measuring elapsed time

The most simple measure is the number of open and "done" stories in the Epic, but this takes no account of size

Story points, while not really a measure of time (as you say, it's more about "weight") is still quite a good way to do it, as it gives you a good idea of relativity

A very good one is estimates and work-logs (usually done at a sub-task level if you're being a bit scrum-like)

Dana Hembroff March 17, 2020

@Eoin is there a ticket I can watch for the toggle for story point estimation and % done?

Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2020

@Dan I don't believe anyone has raised a feature request specifically on this yet, however we do have a lot of interest for a summary field at the parent level.

We have just recently rolled out displaying the story point estimation badges on the child issue cards in the issue view. Have you found this useful?

Pablo Bernardo October 16, 2020

@Eoinis this new "progress" you show in the bar something than can be used, for example, when I insert a jira query in Confluence?

I am trying to show a table or chart wit current epics, their name and level of completion or something similar.

0 votes
Luca Orciuolo July 15, 2019

Thanks mr Ryan, but I think that's not exactly what I need.

I would like to record the % of epic progresses as the project goes on.

Maybe there's an add-on that fits my needs.

regards 

Eoin
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2019

We will be looking to include an epic burndown chart in next-gen in the longer term.

In the meantime there is an Atlassian built integration for Jira and Google Sheets that may help in the short term... https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/jira_cloud_for_sheets/1065669263016 

April Carreon November 18, 2019

Hi All - I am keen on surfacing the % complete in the EPIC in the google sheets using the jira_cloud_for_sheets.  Can you guys let me know what field this is and how I can show it in my google sheet?

Image 19-11-19 at 3.37 pm.jpg

Like # people like this
Rachael Garbee April 1, 2020

@Eoin I'm also looking for the field that I would pull into a Google Sheet from the Sheets for Jira integration. What field matches the "Issues in this epic" Progress Bar %?

Like # people like this
Vanessa Johnston May 4, 2020

I'm also looking for the field that matches the issues in this epic progress bar %. 

Like # people like this
John Maguire May 11, 2020

@Eoin I'm also looking for this field.

% Done based on the % of stories DONE within the EPIC will do just fine, even though as mentioned it doesn't account for varying story size. I want to use it in a Dashboard as well as in exported reports. I don't think I should have to buy something like Epic Sum Up (great though it is) to access this fundamental a data point about the burn down of work in Epics - surely a fundamental of your platform?

Like # people like this
Pratima Narra March 15, 2021

@eion I am surprised that after 2 years this feature is still not prioritized...... point everyone trying to get through to you guys is that this is something basic and crucial for Project health reporting.

Like # people like this
Sehreen Jafry July 16, 2022

It is 2022 and I am also/still looking for the field that matches the issues in this epic progress bar %. This is frustrating. If this information is being calculated on Epic to Epic level, there should be a way to view a holistic picture of all the Epics and their progress for a project. However, I haven't found a solution for this.

Please let me know if you can find a solution for this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2022

The problem here is that there are (still) many varying definitions of "progress".  You need a clear definition of something before you can measure it.

Sehreen Jafry July 17, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

For a start, it can be the 'standard' definition of "progress", that is being used by Jira itself to calculate the bar on individual EPIC level.
progress bar epic.png
I am just looking for a view, or a way to be able to see all the Epic's listed and a progress bar next to them much like the following, with a bit more details (with respective to time estimates maybe)progress bar epic2.png

I know you can view something similar on Jira Roadmaps, but for that:
1. You have to hover over the bar for all Epics to see where they are at.

2. It is not possible to extract this information from Jira, and use it to generate custom visual indicators of progress. I have been trying to find a field on Epic screen that might store this value already, but there isn't one.

Let me know if you have any suggestions please. 

Regards,

Like # people like this
SIMON PATENAUDE November 9, 2023

Where does this stand? I'm not exactly sure where to look to find ongoing requests Atlassian may be working on.

Like Stepheni Norton likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events