Where is the original estimate field for next gen project issues?

Jeremy Dawson August 2, 2019

My team's sprints typically encompass about seven legacy, and one next gen project on the same board. 

In the legacy projects, tasks have an original estimate field.  In the next gen project, they do not. 

Although you can log time against next gen project tasks, they are all listed as "unestimated" and original estimate is always given as zero.  This implies that one should be able to set original estimate for next gen project tasks; however, there is no field in which to do so. 

I have confirmed that for the current sprint, "Estimation" is set to "Remaining Estimate and Time Spent."

Is this a bug, a hidden config setting, or intentional?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2019

Hello,

You can estimate issues in next-gen projects only in Story Points. You should go to project settings -> Features and enable the Estimation option.

Tetyana SAVENKO May 11, 2020

HUH?? how does this make sense?

Like # people like this
Jeremy Dawson May 12, 2020

Alexy that is insufficient.  Atlassian has removed a capability key to our process, and thereby made things much more difficult to manage, apparently all without consulting their client base.  We rely on estimates in hours, AND in story points.  Hours estimated vs. actual hours is the most important metric in many respects.  Atlassian needs to restore this key functionality.

Like # people like this
Sami Lazreg September 7, 2020

Your right Jeremy. I understand Story Point estimations, however not having time estimations means as a Team we have lost the ability to select between the two, ultimately Jira has decided for us, for better or for worse. 

I think you should let us as users of the product decide if we want to use time estimation or story points, don't limit our choice! 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer