When I create an Issue Type, why is the (new) workflow associated to ALL existing issue types?

Chris Kemp March 17, 2022

Hi

Could somebody explain why a new Issue Type workflow is associated with ALL existing Issue Types?

I must be missing the point, as when I create a new Issue Type, I would only expect it (itself) to have a defined workflow.

What are the implications of removing the other Issue Types from the workflow defined within the new issue type?

Many thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2022

Caveat: I don't work with Team Managed projects on a regular basis. What I'm about to say is based on recent experimentation.

In my Team Managed project I have two workflows; the original one that is associated to most of the issue types, and a second workflow associated with only one issue type.

When I create a new Issue Type I see that it was automatically assigned to the original workflow (the one assigned to most issue types).

If I click on the Edit Workflow button at that point and make changes, then click Save, I get a popup that gives me the option to select which issue types I want the modified workflow to apply to. By default all the issue types that were using the workflow I started editing are selected. I just need to remove all the issue types there except for the one to which I want the modified workflow applied. Then when I clid Save, I now have a third workflow applied only to the new issue type.  The workflow I had started to edit, in its original form, is still applied to the original issue types.

What steps are you going through and what do you see?

Chris Kemp March 21, 2022

Hi, not having system privileges makes this a little difficult, as I am unable to see the Workflows available (which I guess are named).

After further reading, I understand it (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/working-with-workflows-938847362.html) there is a System Workflow, and Default Workflows, which cannot be edited. 

"Since neither the Jira system workflow nor the default workflow scheme are editable, Jira creates an editable copy of the system workflow and workflow scheme for your project." 

This article

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-workflow-schemes-938847421.html

states "By default, projects use Jira's system workflow."

So, I guess system admin can create alternative defaults.

---------------------------------------------------------

As a Team Managed team member, I can enter Project Settings > Issues > Create a New Issue.  Once I create an issue, and choose to edit the Workflow, I see a workflow (which I assume to be 'default', be it a copy of the System Workflow or 'another' default).

In the Top Left, it has Workflow for, and shows existing issues.

NOTE: I have just noticed that it does not include a new issue that I created with a 'modified workflow' 

If I make a modification, I am prompted to Update workflow.  Choosing this states...

Save workflow for selected issue types

Changes to this workflow will apply to the issue types selected. If you create an additional workflow, you won’t be able to add, edit, or reorder columns directly on your board. Instead, go to Project Settings > Board.

I can then select from the same list of issues to apply the modified workflow.

>>> I didn't really want to proceed without knowing what to do, being the reason for this question.  I have however 'bitten the bullet' and gone ahead.  I now see that any change does overwrite/update the workflow for each issue selected (as expected).  Given that an attempt to create a new issue also shows the same (modified) workflow, indicates that the project default (copy from system) is updated.

Interestingly, if I do not choose to save to all issues initially shown (ie removing two of them), a new issue still 'defaults' to the newly modified workflow, however, the reduced list is associated (shown in top left).  Alternatively, if I save a modified workflow, removing all but two issues, a new issue is created with the old default.

This indicates that there is a threshold at which the default project workflow is updated.

After working this through, I think I have answered my own question.  I appreciate those that have taken the time to reply, and given me the incentive to investigate further.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2022

The first section, where you quoted documentation, was documentation for Jira Server/Data Center, not for Jira Cloud. However, it does apply to Jira Cloud, but only for for Company Managed projects, not Team Managed projects. 

0 votes
Piyush A (STR)
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2022

Hi,

As when you create a issue type, the issue type is added to default workflow AND/OR the project would have an option for workflow wherein unassigned issue type are added to a workflow.

If that's a default issue type scheme, you can't (same for the shared issue type scheme). Create a copy of the issue type scheme, have the required issues type and associate that with the project.

Suggest an answer