Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Viewing Issues and Task timelines on the Roadmap?

I love the new Next Gen version of the Roadmap to view timelines and the full rollup of Epics, but is there a way to view the timelines for the Issues and/or Tasks within the Roadmap as well? View of the sum of the whole rather than just the high level. Is there a way to do this within a dashboard as a workaround if not on the Roadmap? Thanks!

2 answers

13 votes
Danny Community Leader Apr 21, 2020

Hello @Kelsie Ross

Unfortunately, the Next Gen Roadmap does not display the timeline for issues underneath Epics.

To see this level of detail you would need to use Portfolio for Jira though there are documented limitations when using Portfolio for Jira and Next Gen projects.

• Parent-child relationship: If you try to save a story to epic relationship in Portfolio, it won’t be properly stored in next-gen.

• Sprints: Portfolio doesn’t load sprints coming from next-gen boards.

• Assigning issues from Portfolio won’t work in next-gen boards.

• Story point estimates: You won’t be able to commit story point estimates to Jira if you’re issues are next-gen.

• Time tracking: You can still set time estimates in Portfolio but they won’t show in Jira.

• Issue type mapping: You next-gen project issue type will all implicitly be mapped to the story hierarchy level unless you fix that in the Portfolio hierarchy configuration.

• Target dates: You can use target dates in Portfolio, however, if you commit them to Jira, the changes won’t be reflected in your next-gen roadmap.

@Danny : Is there any plan to introduce a timeline for issues underneath an Epic. (Task stories). Our user would really need this. Is there maybe a Jira Service Desk ticket where we can vote? Is there also a plan to show Subtasks on Roadmaps as well?

Like # people like this

@Danny : Do you have any feedback regarding my post? Users would really need this without upgrading to the Jira Software Premium and Enterprise.

Like # people like this

@Danny : Any update?

Like # people like this

I agree - this is needed

Like # people like this

We are evaluating Jira right now - and it would be a must have for us as well.

Like # people like this

Same here! Thank you!

Like Luki likes this

Also requested by my group

Like Luki likes this

I totally agree...it's urgently needed!

To have all stories or task starting with the EPIC startdate, independant from the stories' or tasks' actuall dates (as it semms to me until now), doesn't make any sense.

At least the display of the correct beginning would help a lot.

Like # people like this
  • Yes, to be able to view an Epic's child issues with their start and end dates in the same Epic timeline would be big help to us.  It seems like you're nearly there; the child issues expand already, just need to color the timeline based on each issue's start and end dates.  The "Start date" is already a default field for all issue types afaict.
Like # people like this
Miguel I'm New Here Feb 03, 2021

@Dannyany updates?

Like # people like this

update?

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Please vote on the suggestion here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18668

2 votes

It's a shame that no one from the Atlassian team seems to feel responsible for any answer regarding an update...

Hey, they work day and night on it - and have simply no time to answer ;) 

Like Alex Matrunich likes this

Hi @Robin Berger and @Jeff you can vote on the suggestion here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18668

Same issue during evaluation process, this is really needed, basic and would just kill the PM activity from this tool very quickly...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Team-managed projects

4 steps to get actual statuses on the Jira board.

Jira   is a powerful tool   that helps teams to plan, manage, and report on their work.   We love using Jira, especially for its ability to track issue progress. But how to monitor the...

1,162 views 10 14
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you