Subtask Labels

Megan Davis August 2, 2022

I am wondering if there is a way to change the task and subtask labels in a project epic? Currently all of my tasks and sub-tasks are labeled by the project key so they look like: TP5-8, TP5-51 etc. I know I can change the project key, but I am wondering if I can change the labels of the tasks so that they reflect the name of the specific epic they relate to. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2022

Hello @Megan Davis 

Welcome to the community.

What you are referring to is the Issue Key, and no, you can't change it. The issue key for an issue is comprised of the Project Key and a number. This is system level functionality of the Jira product and can't be changed.

What problem are you trying to solve? The task will already show the Epic to which it belongs in the breadcrumbs at the top of the Issue Details View.

Megan Davis August 2, 2022

Hey Trudy,

When myself and my coworkers get updates for these tasks they do not include the epic name so they are not sure which epic they refer to. I want the task name changed to match the epic so that it's more clear what the task is for. 

I am using Jira for acquisitions and integrations so each epic refers to a separate integration.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2022

There are other options available for addressing your problem.

1. You could use a app that would allow you to customize the email notifications that are produced by Jira. I've never used such before, but here is one such app.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/4832/enterprise-email-handler-for-jira-jemh?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

2. You could use the Automation feature to send emails based on events. When you use that feature, you have more flexibility to specify the content of the email.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-cloud-automation/

Suggest an answer