Not visible Group By

Maciej Jankowski March 30, 2022

Hi!

Kanban board/ Sprint board. I cannot find "Group by dropdown" where you can select "Subtasks".

As described here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JIRA-Board-Group-By-missing-for-users-to-show-Subtasks/qaq-p/1236667 

How to activate it? 

Cheers,

Maciej

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2022

Are you sure you are looking at a board for a Team Managed project? Can you provide a screen image of what you see?

Maciej Jankowski March 31, 2022

This is how it looks like. I have admin (or maybe I only believe that I have, however, I can manage all jira stuff)

Zrzut ekranu 2022-03-31 092047.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2022

That is not a board that was created automatically with the creation of a Team Managed project. That is a board that was manually created, as is done for a Company Managed project. The two types of boards have different functionality. The manually created boards don't have the Group By option on the board display. For a manually created board you instead use the Swimlanes settings for grouping, and those are found by clicking on the ... button in the upper right, then selecting Settings, then Swimlanes.

oliver May 8, 2023

@Trudy Claspill is there an explanation on why the manually created boards on Company Managed projects cannot have Group By feature?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

@oliver 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

The manually created boards, and the boards created automatically during creation of a Company Managed project, have a similar feature. It is called Swimlanes and is found under the Board Settings. Therefore they don't need the Group By feature.

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.14.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.15.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.15.49 AM.png

The choices for these boards are different than the choices for Team Managed boards. For example "Subtasks" is not a choice here. Instead you would select Stories to get the same effect.

oliver May 9, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill Thank you for the welcoming message and for your response!

I understand what you explained, but why not implement the Group By? Is there something impeding it?

Sometimes I want to see the stories AND the sub-tasks, and sometimes I want to see only the stories, Group By is the simple way to switch between one view and the other. Going to settings and changing the swimlanes settings is tedious.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2023

Company Managed projects and their boards and the underlying functionality and architecture that support them are the original version of Jira.

Team Managed projects and their boards and the underlying functionality and architecture that support them are a newer implementation that Atlassian has been developing to serve a slightly different use case.

Since I am not a member of the Atlassian team, I have no insights on the design decisions that they make about porting functionality between the two different implementations. 

If you want a quick way to hide and reveal subtasks on a board display you could use a Quick Filter.

If you are on a paid subscription, you could ask your Jira Administrators to raise that question through an Atlassian Support ticket. 

You could also look through their publicly accessible backlog to see if there is a suggestion for that functionality to be ported.

https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

0 votes
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2022

You have to be a project admin for this:

chrome_2022-03-30_10-53-49.png

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2022

It is right on the board, so you don't have to go looking for settings somewhere outside the board.

Maciej Jankowski March 31, 2022

In which place I can verify that I have admin for this project? Wherever I've checked, it's correct. 

Suggest an answer