My user can't see his issues

Matteo Foglio October 14, 2022

I recently added a new user to Jira. I created some issues and assigned them to the user.

He can see the issues if I send him the direct link to the issues.

However, the team-managed project board does not list the user in the top filter. The user does not appear in among the users listed in the filter options. Moreover, if I open the user profile from People -> NameOfTheUser I see that "There is no work to see here" but I do see the project listed under "Placed they work in".

The user has been already added to the project with Member permission. He can see the issues if he opens the url I sent him. He can even add subtasks or edit the ones already created and assigned to him. 

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2022

Hello @Matteo Foglio 

Welcome to the community.

Did you assign the issues to the user by adding that user to the Assignee field?

Does the user possibly have multiple accounts under different email addresses in your environment?

Is the board you are viewing the default board created with the project, or a separate manually created board from a saved filter query?

Is there any Group By setting or Custom Filters activated on the board?

Can you provide any images to show us what you are seeing?

Matteo Foglio October 17, 2022

Hi @Trudy Claspill , thank you for your reply.

• Yes, the issue is assigned to the user (see attached image)Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 1.20.22 PM.png
  • The user has only one account. This account is associated to his Gmail account provided by the company.

I'd need your help to answer the next two questions:

• I don't know if I am using a custom board. How can I check this?
  • I don't think any Group By setting is selected (see attached image)
    Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 1.28.51 PM.png
  • I don't think any custom filters are activated. How can I check this?

I can't find the user among the list of users for the board, but the issue shown above is a sub-issue from an issue in this board:
Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 1.29.52 PM.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2022

Is it a Custom board? When you select this project there are options in the left side navigation pane to display the Board, and maybe the Backlog and maybe Active Sprints. If this is the board you see when you click on the "Board" option then it is the default board for the project, not a custom board.

Active custom filters - if you have any filters active you would see numbers next to the pull down lists above the board, and the option to "Clear filters".

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 11.47.24 AM.png

Is the board a Scrum board or a Kanban board?

You made an interesting statement in your reply that I want to dig into.

the issue shown above is a sub-issue from an issue in this board

Do you mean the users is assigned to a Subtask type of issue? The list of Assignee avatars will include only users for issues that are visible on the board. Subtasks don't display on the board unless you select Group By: Subtask. Depending on the board type (Scrum vs. Kanban) Epics also may not be displayed. Is the user assigned only to Epics and/or Subtasks? If so, and those types of issues are not displayed on the board, then that would explain why the user is not in the avatar list.

Matteo Foglio October 17, 2022

Thanks, @Trudy Claspill . 

Based on your answer, I can say that:

• Yes, it is the default board.
  • No, there are not active custom filters. I also tried to hit the "Clear filters" button, but it didn't help.

I think it should be a scrum board because it shows the issues related a sprint. Is this a correct assumption?

I think the point you are making in the last part of your reply makes sense. This could be the case. In fact, the issue is assigned to me, and only child issues are assigned to the other user.

The blue icon represents my user, the yellow icon represents the other user:

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 3.17.33 PM.png

If I group by subtasks I can see the other user's subtasks.

Is there a way to display also the issue assigned to me since it contains subtasks assigned to him? Or is it not supported because it's a bad practice?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2022

If you have the Active Sprints option shown in the navigation pane on the left, then you are viewing a Scrum board.

In a Team Managed board if you group by Subtask then the parent issue is shown as a header above the subtasks.

Issues that have no subtasks show at the bottom, in the Everything Else group.

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 1.30.02 PM.png

If you group by Subtask and then use the Assignee avatar to filter for issues assigned to a user, the header above the subtasks will still display even if the parent issue is assigned to a different user. You can click on the issue key of the parent issue in the header to see the details of that issue.

In a Team Managed project it is not possible to display both the Subtasks as cards on the board and also their parent issues as cards on the board. The parent issues will display only as the header above the subtask cards.

It is not a bad practice to have the parent issue assigned to one person and subtasks assigned to other people. The person assigned to the parent issue is responsible for ensuring that the parent issue is completed overall, while pieces of that work are delegated to the people assigned to the subtasks. The display option in Jira in this case was a design decision made by Atlassian. I don't have insights into all the factors that went into their decision.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events