Multiple projects

Richard Manning August 1, 2021

Hi all

I have a number of projects setup in Jira. Some of the projects are for project implementations where our PMs are using kanban boards to track tasks. Within the implementation project there are tasks that require development. 

I also have 2 x dev teams using scrum for their BAU. 

My concern is my development teams not having full visibility of tickets on other implementation projects. I would like to create a view of all development tasks from all boards to provide a single view of all development tasks for my delivery teams. 

Can I create a filter to pull these stories from a kanban board and use them for our sprint planning? 

Can a ticket be on a kanban board and a sprint board? 

Any other suggestions would be really helpful.

thanks

rich 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2021

Hi @Richard Manning 

There are many ways to configure your requirements. Let us consider one of them.

Suppose you have 3 projects:  AAA, BBB, CCC on which you track both implementation and development tasks. To distinguish them, let's say that you use two types of issues, e.g. task for implementation tasks and story for development tasks. On every single project you already configured Kanban boards showing all issues from those single projects (both task and story).
If you want to add a Scrum board (for dev team) now, in which you will be handling all stories from all projects, all you need to do is:

• Create and save a new filter (Filters -> Advanced issue search -> Switch to JQL -> enter the following JQL -> click Save as -> enter a name, eg Dev Filter)
project in (AAA, BBB, CCC) AND type = story ORDER BY Rank
  • Then you need to share this filter with all dev team members - for example with all Roles on thos projects. To do so click details near filter name and choose Edit permissions. Then change Private to Project, select project AAA and All roles and click Add. Then add also roles from other projects.

chrome_afvdwjXKfm.png

• Add a new board of the Scrum type and create it based on the filter created (on any Kanban board view click the board name and then click Create board, Select Scrum -> Board from an existing Saved Filter -> provide board name, filter created in 1. and location which means project in which this board will be visible). Board config should be similiar to following:

iFQ6U1xfel.png

After this you should have one additional single board for all projects and only for planning and tracking story issues. 

Answering your questions:

• Can I create a filter to pull these stories from a kanban board and use them for our sprint planning? YES like in above example
  • Can a ticket be on a kanban board and a sprint board? YES
Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2021

Oh I just noticed that you tag your question "team-managed projects".

If you use team-managed projects as AAA, BBB, CCC the way you should configure your Scrum board is the same as I explained earlier with two little alteration in point 3.

• First to create new board you need to click "Your work" menu then Boards -> View all boards -> Create board (as far as I know there is no option in interface to add another board directly from team-managed project) 
  • You will also not be able to choose any of team-managed projects as location - you will have to choose any company-managed project or "Personal" location.
Like Alan Parr likes this

Suggest an answer