JQuery for subtasks

Nicole Stevens April 6, 2020

I would like to do a JQuery for all subtasks against a story, however I get no results returning.   I am using a Next-gen Project.  Query contains: Project, Sprint, Parent Story.  

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2020

Hi @Nicole Stevens

JQL for sub-tasks works the same in Next-Gen as Classic.

You can search for all sub-tasks in one story using this query:

parent = STORY-1

^ This will return all the sub-tasks which exist under a story.

Or you can use:

linkedIssue = STORY-1

^ This will return all sub-tasks and the story itself. You can change STORY-1 to EPIC-1 to return all stories / sub-tasks in an Epic.

--------------

If you're searching by just one story, there should be no need for sprint or project.

If however you have a more complex query - such as providing all the sub-tasks below all stories in a specific sprint, you'd need to either search for each story individually...

parent = STORY-1 or parent = STORY-2 or parent = STORY-3

...or use an app which expands the power of JQL, to allow you to search for all sub-tasks below issues which match an additional sub-query.

Let us know if any of these work for you - or if you need a more advanced query, let me know the specifics and I'll try to suggest an alternative :)

Ste

Steve Ungar April 7, 2021

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ I'm trying to pull all sub-tasks in an epic, but don't have  linkedIssue as an option.  Is there another way to do this?  I tried using parent = epic#, but that doesn't return any records.

Thanks.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2022

Hi @Steve Ungar 

Did you find a solution for your need?

If not, are you looking to pull the Sub-tasks directly linked to an Epic? Or all the Sub-tasks within Stories/Tasks, within an Epic (i.e grandchild issues)?

Ste

Suggest an answer