Issues Status and Board position are not connected

Ian Munday July 11, 2019

In next-gen projects, it seems that an issue's status (To Do, In Progress, etc) is completely distinct from its location on the Backlog or Board.

To illustrate:

1. I create a new issue and this is given a status To Do and appears in the Backlog as I would expect.
  2. I change the issue status from To Do to In Progress.  I'd expect the issue to then appear on the Board under the In Progress column.  However instead, it remains on the Backlog.
  3. In order for it to appear on the Board in the correct column, I have to manually drag the issue from the Backlog to the Board in the Backlog view.

Presumably this is by design, but it does seem unintuitive to me.  Is there any documentation about this?

And is there a way to automate the board position based on the issue status?

2 answers

1 vote
elenushhh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2019

Hello, @Ian Munday 

The only way to have your newly created tasks appear on the Board, you have to add them from the Backlog -> Board -> + Create issue.

issue.png

Ian Munday July 15, 2019

Hi @elenushhh.  I can see the work around, but this adds steps to a workflow that I think should happen automatically.  And if a user forgets to do, e.g. by changing the issue status directly in the issue itself, then this gets missed and the Board is no longer accurate.

0 votes
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2019

Thanks for the feedback @Ian Munday. The Backlog and the Board are different lists and currently independent of the workflow. We will be building in automations in next-gen and as you mention this is an example of something that could be automated. We'll also keep an eye on whether this is causing wider confusion.

Cheers

Eoin

Ian Munday July 15, 2019

Hi @Eoin.  If this could be added as a configurable rule, that would iron out this niggle.

For example, if the issue is not in the Backlog, and its status changes to In Progress, In Review or Done, then also move it to the Backlog list.

Thanks,

Ian

Suggest an answer