Is there a way to change how different statuses on the board impact the progress bar on the roadmap?

Mike Nowak October 23, 2019

For our workflow I would really like the right most columns "Ready to deploy" and "done" to count as done. Often times the only reason something wouldn't get deployed to Prod is because of some other business reason. For our purposes of calculating our velocity we'd like to be able to count things that are ready to deploy as done in the epic roadmap progress bar. 

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2019

Hello Mike,

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I believe you are using a next-gen project and you would like to consider the issues in the second-most right column as done in your project, so it can reflect in your Epic roadmap progress bar. Is it correct?

Although you can not select multiple columns to be considered as done (see - JSWCLOUD-17497), I suggest you group both your "Ready to Deploy" and "Done" issues in the same column, removing the "Ready to Deploy" column. This would be the logic behind this practice:

Since both statuses should be considered done, there would be no reason to keep two columns on your board. Instead, to define if an issue was already deployed or not, you can use a simple custom field (Like a select list) to describe that.

That being said, if you still think that the ability to set multiple columns in the same status category would be a useful feature, feel free to vote and watch the suggestion below to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates:

Ability to customize status category in Next-gen projects 

Let us know if this information helps.

Mike Nowak October 28, 2019

Thanks for responding,

Don't issues in the done column (or whatever is the rightmost column) drop off the board after a given amount of time. We would make a distinction still between ready to deploy and done, in that ready to deploy would cover stories that haven't been pushed to Prod yet. 

If we ever had a situation where maybe there was a couple of week delay in getting the all clear to do a prod push I'd be afraid of those stories dropping off the board before they were actually pushed to Prod. 

Mike Nowak October 28, 2019

Just saw your suggestion to use a drop down for deployed to prod. This would help, but I still have the issue with stories dropping off the board at a certain point from the right-most column. Is there a way to control when stories drop off the board?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2019

Hello Mike,

Your point makes a lot of sense. In fact, the issues in the done column of a next-gen Kanban board disappear after 14 days. Unfortunately, we still don't have a way to change this behavior for next-gen projects, although we have a feature request to get it implemented:

NEXT-GEN - Enable/disable/config removal of issues in DONE column 

Please, feel free to vote and watch the suggestion above to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

While this feature is not implemented, the only way to avoid the issues in "Ready to deploy" to be counted in your board velocity but making sure your team will still looking for it, would be to use a JQL filter. This would be your scenario:

1 - Use both "Ready to Deploy" and "Done" as the same column in the board

2 - Use a custom field to differentiate both "Ready to Deploy" and "Done"

3 - Use a JQL feature to return all the issues in "Ready to Deploy", making sure that one of the diary/weekly procedures of your team is to verify that filter

4 - Optionally, you can create a filter subscription to notify your users every time there are any issues in "ready to Deploy" with the frequency you want. For example, you can configure a subscription to send notifications to the responsible assignees every Wednesday and Friday morning, informing which Stories/tasks are still waiting to be deployed.

Let me know if this information makes sense to you.

Mike Nowak October 29, 2019

Thanks for confirming. Technically the feature I really want is the ability to determine that more than one column might count as "done" on the roadmap view for epic completeness so I can track that something might be done but not deployed to prod yet. 

Thanks for confirming how things work with me. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events