Is it possible to prevent team managed workflow statuses from showing to all in JQL?

Michael Stewart June 11, 2021

When an admin of a team managed project creates a new workflow status for their project's workflow, this status is made available to anyone doing a JQL "status = " search, even if the filtering user has no access to that team managed project.  Is there a way to limit the available options for JQL filters so that team managed statuses only show to those with access to those statuses?  This is causing a lot of confusion as these statuses can be all over the place.

Anyone seen this?  If there isn't a way to prevent this, does anyone have any suggestions for handling this situation?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2021

Hi @Michael Stewart 

I suspect the answer is, "no".  JQL is not a SQL, and so customers do not get the scoping limits/help you note when using advanced searches.  I believe that when using the basic search option, when you first filter by project that the values shown for status are constrained to the selected project.

Best regards,

Bill

Unfortunately more of our users use Advanced searching.  And Quick filters require JQL as well, so that's moot anyway. 

Thanks for your reply.  I'm surprised this is not an issue for more people.  It really makes it hard to have a mix of Company Managed and Team Managed projects in your environment

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2021

It does seem like a bigger problem now with Team-Managed projects, as each one adds new status values and custom fields.  The suggested "work-around" I saw from the support team is to use the numeric ID value for the status (rather than the name) to make them unique in your query.

There are marketplace addons (for purchase) which improve JQL, making these more unique for searches, but I haven't used any recently which I could recommend.

Suggest an answer