How to manage multiple projects with one NextGen board?

Conor September 10, 2019

I'm part of a team of 4 which takes on projects of varying scales at the same time (some that last a couple of days, others that last months).

We've started managing all of our projects using a single board, but both the board and backlog become bloated pretty quickly. It's also inconvenient when we want to invite stakeholders, etc to view our progress on a particular project because we have to invite them to one board which has ALL of our projects on.

Can somebody help with the following questions?

• Is there any way to effectively manage multiple projects using a single NextGen board? I know in Jira you can set up a board with different filters to bring in other project issues, but I can't see anything which replicates that in NextGen.
  • How would people recommend doing this in NextGen?
  • Is it better to just use a single board for each project?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
PVS
Banned
September 10, 2019

Hello,

It is not possible yet.

Next-gen projects need a bit more work to make it a bit more interesting. I like the simplicity of it, plus the roadmap really helps. It will be great to see the ability to combine multiple projects to a single roadmap.

Thanks,

pvs

Conor September 10, 2019

Would you recommend using different boards for different projects then?

I agree, I really like the simplicity of NextGen, but there definitely could be a few more features like visualising tasks from multiple projects which would be really useful.

PVS
Banned
September 10, 2019

Hi @Conor 

There is currently no way to have multiple boards associated with a next-gen project. 

This probably isn't very helpful, but the moment if you want to stick to next-gen you'll have to create a different project for each scrum team.I don't know much about third-party add-ons, but I do know that for classic Scrum/Kanban projects we have Portfolio for Jira which will give you a Roadmap-like feature, though it is more complex.

Thanks,

pvs

0 votes
Tal Levi September 17, 2019

Hey, we're struggeling with the same issue and that's why some squads in our R&D just stayed with the classic projects.

The best solutions that we found:

- Create one classic project > Create a board in the classic project that displays all the issues from your next-gens.

- Create a dashboard with filters for each next gen project.

The roadmap didn't work well for us :/ 

Good luck :)

Suggest an answer