How to keep ticket order while moving a ticket across columns

tomicakorac February 5, 2020

In older Jira Server versions, when I move a ticket from one column to another in a Scrum Board (let's say from 'In progress' to 'Done'), the ticket's order was preserved compared to all other tickets in the board. I could only select the column to which I want to move the ticket, and not re-order the ticket in comparison to other tickets that already exist in the new board.

In the Nextgen project board, while moving a ticket across the columns, its order gets lost. Along with choosing the new column for the ticket, I am also forced to also choose the tickets order compared to the other tickets existing in this new column.

Can I (and if yes, how) revert my board behaviour as it was before?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2020

Hello @tomicakorac

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

Per your description, I understand that you want to enforce the ticket order when moving issues between columns in Next-gen boards, so the tickets would be always moved to the position related to its rank instead of allowing it to be placed in any order.

Please, allow me to provide you some concepts about Next-gen and the sort of issues on the board so we can confirm we are on the same page here:

The order of the tickets on any Jira boards is configured by the board filter (Under board settings > General), where you will be able to define/enforce which field will be used to sort issues using the parameter ORDER BY at the end of the JQL filter.

The board filter can be easily edited in Classic projects of Jira, however, it can not be edited in Next-gen projects. In fact, Jira Next-gen was created for those folks that felt overwhelmed by all the complexity of Jira and required a simple and straight forward solution with fewer options of customization, that's why you are free to select the order of the tickets in Next-gen boards.

That being said, we are constantly collecting feedback to improve our products and know that the simplicity of Next-gen projects could be more useful if we add it with some optional functionalities. That's why we created the following feature request to track that specific requirement:

As a Jira Software user, I want next-gen boards to provide a way to sort issues in columns 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, we suggest you use a classic project/board of Jira to define the order of your tickets in the board columns. P.S: You can select between both options when creating a project.

Additionally, you can have more details about the differences between Classic and Next-gen projects in the link below:

Working with next-gen software projects 

Let us know if you have any questions.

tomicakorac February 8, 2020

Many thanks Petter for the detailed and helpful answer.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2020

You are welcome, @tomicakorac

Have a nice week and please let us know in case you have any other questions.

Suggest an answer