How to find issues that reside only in Next-Gen projects?

Valentin R. March 18, 2021

Hey! Is there a way to JQL only the issues that live in Next-Gen projects? I need to separate those from "Classic" ones and use it as a condition for automation.

Maybe there is something specific in Nex-Gen issues that classic issues won't have?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2021

Hi @Valentin R. 

Your question seems like a good idea for some circumstances, and...

After checking a bit, I did not find anything obvious to query for this distinction.  There are fields which should be unique to each type (e.g. Story Points vs Story Point Estimate), but there are no restrictions preventing the mis-use in the other type.  I just found some Classic projects in my instance with Story Point Estimate set.  :^)

Checking the REST API, there is an attribute of "style" (classic or next-gen) but it is not accessible unless you called the REST API from the automation rule for the issue's project.  That seems a bit heavy-handed.

And, I didn't see anything in the suggestion backlog to make this information available.

If these are project-level automation rules, I recommend creating different versions based on the containing project.

If instead these are global/multiple-project automation rules, you may want to either:

• create a list of projects to check in a condition in the rule
  • add a custom field to indicate the difference, and set it bulk-update to start and automation later

Best regards,

Bill

Valentin R. March 18, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy

Good ideas there. I'm looking for global automation for all nextgen issues, to overcome a limitation of nexgens (inability to have required fields in projects). Basically, I want to send an email reminder after any nextgen issue is created.

Thought about the list of projects too, but will require updating those regularly.

Additional custom field - can I create one that will show up only in nextgen issues for all projects at a time? Not aware

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2021

Yes, however fields are defined at a project level for Next-Gen:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/available-custom-fields-for-next-gen-projects/

Which I believe means you need to add them in each project, one by one.

Like Valentin R. likes this
Valentin R. March 19, 2021

Got it. Maybe you can think of something that can determine if a project is Classic? I believe I can set automation to exclude those if there is the way.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2021

I believe the same constraints apply for Classic, except you can add an indicator for all Classic projects more easily.  The catch is that if the issues do not have a value in the field they wouldn't appear in the search.

And, I puzzled about my own earlier suggestion, so I created an automation rule using the REST API to determine if an issue is/is not in a particular project type. The trickiest part is getting the calls to the REST API to work, and luckily there is a great write-up from Atlassian on how to do this.

Here's my how-to if you want to take a look:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-discussions/What-is-your-most-useful-automation-Here-is-mine/m-p/1643327#M55

Valentin R. March 19, 2021

Thanks for your suggestions. I worked it around by finding a custom field that we had in all classic projects.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events