How to enable tasks/sub-tasks in next-gen general services project?

nick.mantzios February 4, 2021

I am looking for a way to add tasks/sub-tasks to next-gen general services project. Currently, under my project settings portal, I only have 'Request Types' as an option, and I am able to add as many requests types as needed.

What I would like, is to have the ability to create tasks/sub-tasks from the request types that are logged. I know this requires the project to be associated with Issue Types, but I can not seem to add issue types to this project, only request types. Can this be done in this template of the next-gen project or do I have to create a Classic project?

Thanks,
Nick

Next-Gen Project Settings.pngNext-Gen-Request Types.png

2 answers

1 vote
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2021

Hi @nick.mantzios

if I understand everything right you are looking for a way to have sub-tasks in a next-gen Jira Service Management project but all you find is the option to create new Request Types.

While checking my Cloud instance, as well as older post on Community, I found a post by an Atlassian team member confirming there is right now no possibility to create sub-tasks in a next-gen Jira Service Management project.
As a side note, whilst Automation is very powerful it won't most likely not have any positive contributing here because all you could do is to add other issues due to creation but none of them are, by that means, sub-tasks.

grafik.png

There is a Suggestion open with Atlassian which reads:

with an explanation:

The ability to create sub-tasks were added to the new issue view for Jira Service Desk, but this is not true for SD next-gen.

If this is what you are looking for you could visit the link and watch the issue to get updates about it's further processing.
You also could vote for it to increase the likeliness the idea will be made available for Jira Service Management next-gen projects.

Please correct me if I understood it not correctly.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2021

Hi @nick.mantzios 

Can I clarify what you want to do with sub-tasks please? I find it really useful to set up automation rules to create new sub tasks when a particular request type is used to raise an issue. For example - when an on onboarding ticket comes in, IT have a sub task assigned to them to assign a laptop, HR have a sub-task assigned to send a contract out for signature, engagement set up a funky pidgeon reminder to get them a card on their birthday etc.

If this is the case head over to 'Automation' in 'project settings' and 'create a rule'

I can't think of another way to add a sub-task, there needs to be a task level issue to assign a sub-task to.

nick.mantzios February 5, 2021

Hi @Stuart Capel - London,

The particular request types that we need to deal with at my company are items that will require sub-tasks, such as Preventative Maintenance (PM) for the equipment that we deploy to our customer sites. Each customer site has a unique product mix, so not all PM is the same. Thus, when a request type for PM is logged for Customer X, we want to be able to create the relevant sub-tasks that outline the work needed to execute the work successfully. Customer Y will have a different product mix, and a different time-frame and work tasks.

Your suggestion about Automation does not apply in this instance since this is not cross-departmental. Further, I already have an automation rule in place to assign tickets with key values to a JSD Group in a Balanced Workload fashion, so creating these new tickets will cause the subsequent child tickets to be assigned to another member of that Group when the current assignee is responsible for all the work pertaining to that customer.

If this feature does not exists for Jira Service Desk - General Services projects, and only resides in the Classic projects, that is okay. I just would like an answer before digging further down this project, instead of cloning the project over to Classic

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events