How to delete a JIRA account completely?

WEN WEN QU February 9, 2023

Hi team,

I'm the administrator for my project in Jira service deck. There's a strange case need your help.

One person had left my project, and I've deleted his account, but he can still receive the notification by reporter via Jira.

Would you share how to delete a JIRA account completely? 

2 answers

0 votes

Hi Mayur Jadhav,

Thanks a lot for your quick response!

I'd like to share more details permission management situation with you. Even if I as the project administrator, but the permission management function has been set by my project leader/owner. Combine with the guidance you shared, there's not "user management" under setting menu. 

I follow below operation to check Jira permission:

• Select Projects under setting, then select the needed project.
  • Click “Users and Roles” from Project Setting.
  • Then I can see many members.

There's a strange permission. Several members have been deleted, but their IDs still show here. The other strange situation is that one member who left project, and he isn't in our member list. But he has receiving related mails from another reporters for the existing tasks.

Would you help to check how to manage permission for my project?

Thank you in advance!

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 09.42.56.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-10 at 09.52.48.png

0 votes
Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2023

Hello @WEN WEN QU ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!!

Ideally, after deactivating the user account, he will not consume the license and he will stop receiving update from that instance.

Would you like to remove him from just a project or complete instance. If complete instance, then you can below instruction.

1. In the upper-right corner of the screen, select Administration User Management.
  2. In the user list, find the user that you want to deactivate

3. In the Actions menu select Edit Details

4. Deselect the Active checkbox.

5. Select Update to confirm the change.

6. The username and full name of the deactivated user will now appear on the user list with a strikethrough and with the (Inactive) label.

For more information, please have a look at-https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/create-edit-or-remove-a-user-938847025.html 

Regards,
Mayur Jadhav
Please don't forget to hit the accept button.

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2023

Hello @WEN WEN QU ,

You need to have Jira Administrators global permission, or you may please reach out to your Jira Admin.

Hi Mayur Jadhav,

Would you check the screenshot I shared in the pervious reply? It shows the permission is Jira administrator. 

The Jira Administrator global permission isn't the same with my existing?

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2023

Can you please click on Setting cog and check if you can see the user management section.

There's no user management item under Setting.

For the project owner, he can edit user management, correct?

Moreover, one member who left project, and he isn't in our member list. But he has receiving related mails from another reporters for the existing tasks.

Would you share more permission management rule/logic for this case? Is thIs normal?

Suggest an answer