How do I use markdown in Description

Deleted user October 10, 2019

First time using a next gen project.

I don't seem to be able to use any markdown or other text based formatting.  For example, if I put

*test*

then it renders the asterisks and nothing is bolded.

Is it not possible to markup things anymore?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2019

Hi @[deleted]

Classic used wiki markup; whilst Next Gen uses markdown - so for bold in markdown, it is **test**

Does this work if used in the Description field? Tested it in our instance and it works fine.

For more information on markdown, see this Confluence page

Ste

Deleted user October 11, 2019

Thanks!  I'm now able to do some basic stuff!

Do you know if there are equivalents to things like {panel}?  I don't see anything like that on the Confluence page. 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2019

Hi @[deleted]

If you type "/" in the description field it'll bring up a list of options to choose from you can add to the text box :) - this has code block, table, panels, etc.

Ste

Deleted user October 11, 2019

Thanks Stephen!

One last question:  Is there a way to paste in from a text file the "/" hidden items?

If I paste in "asterisk-asterisk-something-asterisk-asterisk"  from the clipboard, I get bolded text.

If I past in "/warn" or something I just get "/warn".

Do the formats behind the "/" have something I can paste in to get converted to that object?  I used to be able to paste {panel} from the clipboard and get a rendered panel, but I'm not sure how to do that now.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2019

Hi @[deleted]

Not as far as I know at this stage.

If it's an upload, an alternative would be to load the issues into a Classic project and then "move" the issues into the Next-Gen version. I tested this in our instance and it did work fine.

Move works in a similar way - see this Confluence page for more details.

Ste

Deleted user October 14, 2019

Thanks Ste!

My use case is making templates in an offline text editor and pasting them into the field with all the markup included.  Looks I can do that for a more limited subset of the markup than I could in original Jira. 

After last Update (2022/03/21) markdown table is not able any more.

In template of task description i'm a long time successfully used the preformatted table in format:

||Head 1||Head 2||

|Context 1|Context 2|

when i created tasks (bugs), this markdown successfylly converted in table.

Now this not happend!

It's some bug or now i need to use some another way to convering template table to real table in task?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2022

Hi @Морозов Олег Владимирович 

Markup hasn't been available for some time - the transition to the "New Issue View", which is the only option across most Cloud instances now - means your only option is markdown.

To see markdown's syntax - see Markdown and keyboard shortcuts

There's a good explanation as to why in JRACLOUD-69259, alongside this Developer Community post.

Ste

Thanks for the link @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

But on this page i can't find the table options.

When i type "/", in drop list nedded option is not present.

Jira_template_table.JPGNo_table_option_in_jira_template.jpg

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2022

In Team-managed Projects...

• Tables are available when creating/editing an Issue...
  • ...but not available when setting a default description (i.e an Issue template)

It looks like there are some other limitations also - default description also doesn't have coloured text, attachments, dates, or status icons.

I couldn't find much documentation on why this is - not even in this help page - but there is a feature request for this, view/vote for JRACLOUD-78176 

Ste

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ It's strange because until today it was work well - issue tables templates in markdown successfully converts to the real tables in tasks.

Today it's stopped work. (

Like in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-78176, in my projects i'm dont't have to the availability to create some tables using tool bar options. But i'm successfully using the markdown option.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2022

Are you sure it was in the same Project type?

I don't think this has worked in my instances for Team-managed Projects for some time, perhaps 1-3 years?

Natively, the only current possibility to set a default value at creation using wiki markup is using Company-managed Projects' custom fields.

There is also a workaround for the system field Description in Company-managed also.

The below details how to....

• Replace the Description field with a custom field for creation
  • After creation, copy the information from the custom field back to Description

1. Create a custom paragraph field
  2. Populate its default value with your wiki markup
  3. Change the new field's renderer to Wiki Style in the Field Configuration
  4. On related Projects, create a second screen (if it doesn't exist)
  5. Remove Description, and add your new custom field
  6. Modify the screen scheme, and make your new screen the create operation
  7. Your existing screen (where the custom paragraph field is not visible, but Description is), should remain for the view operation
  8. Create an Automation rule with the trigger Issue created, and the edit issue action to copy the data from the custom paragraph field, back to Description

^ This will allow you to have the table in a "Description field" at creation. I've done this before, and it works.

Let us know if this works for you!

Ste

Hi,

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

I make the request to the Jira Support.

And what was he says.

Rohan

22/Mar/22 2:12 PM

Hi Oleg,

I hope your day is going well. My name is Rohan and I'd be more than happy to help you out today!

From your description, I understand that in the Default description field you are looking for the table option in the dropdown. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I checked the same behaviour on my instance and found that the issue is happening due to the recent release of the new Global issue create option. As per the new implementation, the table option feature is not available in the edit description field.

Having said that, we do have an open feature request for this here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-78176

Oleg, I strongly recommend you to vote in this feature request and drop a comment to let the product management know about your use case. By doing this, it will ensure you're proactively informed of progress and updates going forward. I have also added a link to this case so that the developers can reference it if necessary.

Please, note that all of the feature requests are implemented following our Feature Request Policy.

Hope this helps Oleg and I look forward to your response.

Cheers,

Rohan
Atlassian Cloud Support

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2022

Hi Oleg,

So potentially more recently it was working - but unfortunately it looks like my workaround is still the only option right now.

Ste

Hi,

A few questions by your workaround.

1. Where i should find the "field Configuration" from #3 of your workaround?

2. What is that mean "second screen" from #4 of your workaround?

3. How should i remove the Description if this one is the "Jira Created field" that can't be deleted?

And more.... And more.... it's to complicated for my understanding )

Maybe you could record some video tutorial?

Actually, i'm not an advanced jira administrator )

Hi

Is your workaround applicable to the "Jira Next Generation Projects" or is it applicable to "Classic projects" only?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2022

It only works in Company-managed (i.e Classic Projects) - does that help explain any of your questions?

Happy to provide some more specific instructions, but it'd be good to clarify which parts you're unsure of in relation to Company-managed.

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events