How do I see all the tasks and important subtasks on the Kanban Board

Ilya Drynkin February 8, 2020

Hi!

There were several questions about the use of Jira and the new generation of boards.

Namely:

1. How do I see all the tasks and important subtasks on the Kanban Board?
In a planned sprint. I don't see them now.

2. How do I make a task estimate in hours instead of storepoints?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2020

Hello @Ilya Drynkin

thank you for reaching out.

Allow me to provide you with some insights that might help you address your questions:

1. How do I see all the tasks and important subtasks on the Kanban Board?
In a planned sprint. I don't see them now.

Currently, the only way to see all the sub-tasks of your next-gen project in the related board would be by grouping your issues by Sub-tasks in the active board view, such as displayed in the screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 18.41.13.png

Indeed, sub-tasks are not displayed in the backlog view of Jira Next-gen.

2. How do I make a task estimate in hours instead of story points?

The estimation by time can be performed by using the time tracking field in Next-gen, where you can log work to your issues to reduce the original time estimation, as explained in the documentation below:

Configuring time tracking 

To add the time tracking field to your Next-gen projects:

1. Navigate to your next-gen project > Project settings > Issue types.
  2. Select the issue type you want to edit.
  3. Drag fields from the toolbar into the list of fields. Jira highlights the areas you can drop the field into.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Ray Wu March 16, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves Hi Petter, if subtasks don't show up in Next-gen, what's your recommended way for the team to keep track of all tasks?

I saved a filter view with JQL but it doesn't seem to be working—this is the only way I can think of:

`project = MH AND (type = Task OR type = Sub-task) AND status != DONE AND assignee in (currentUser(), EMPTY) OR "Project Owner" in (EMPTY, currentUser()) AND assignee is not EMPTY AND "Project Owner" is not EMPTY ORDER BY "Project Owner" DESC, updated DESC, priority DESC`

My goal is to have a view with type `Task`and `Sub-Task` that are assigned to me (assignee) OR are owned by me ("Project Owner"), but filter out "unassigned" (EMPTY) assignee or "Project Owner". The filtering out of `assignee is not EMPTY AND "Project Owner" is not EMPTY` isn't working and I don't know that I can trust this JQL.

Suggest an answer