How can I search epics in next gen projects?

nelson November 6, 2018

I have set up a next gen project and I cannot find a way to do a search cross projects since the epics do not seem to be epics in the search. Also, I've set up a custom field checkbox and I cannot find a way to use it for filtering in search. All the document I found is for classic projects.

How can I use JQL or do advanced searches in next gen projects?

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2018

Hello Nelson,

Actually, the search using JQL is a global feature that works for any kind of projects and does not change for Next-Gen projects. You just need to navigate to Issues and filters > Search Issues. P.S: If you are not using this way, please let us know how you are searching for issues.

That being said, you can simply create a query to display Epics of the project you want. E.g:

issuetype = epic and project = "Next-Gen"

You should also be able to search based on your custom field with this option.

nelson November 6, 2018

Excellent, that query works. What should be the query if I wanted to list all issues related to a particular epic? I tried different ways that did not work like:

• parentEpic = XYZ-123
  • parent = XYZ-123
  • "Epic Link" = XYZ-123

Thank you very much!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2018

Hello Nelson,

Thank you for your answer. Now I've understood what you were meaning. 

Unfortunately, the Epic Link field was not implemented yet to identify the relations between Epics and Stories on Next-gen projects. That's why you are not being able to find those relations using JQL.

We have identified this problem a while ago and reported a feature request with our development team to implement it in the Next-gen projects:

As a user, I'd like to be able to use JQL for Epic Link for Next-Gen project epics

Please, feel free to vote and become a watcher of this feature to increase its priority and be aware of any updates on that.

Updated: 

Customers can query on Next-gen epics using the parent =. If you want to combine Epics from both project types, an example of such a query would be:
"Epic Link" = NPC-6 OR parent = NJDP-5

Like # people like this
nelson November 6, 2018

Sounds good. Thank you very much.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
November 26, 2018

You are welcome, Nelson.

Have a nice week.

Kelsey Engbrecht July 31, 2019

@Petter Gonçalves -- I have a follow-up question on this. While we are waiting for JSWCLOUD-17239 to be completed, I saw that in the Jira basic search screen, there's an option for searching by parent link, however I can't seem to actually use it... the message displayed is "Parent Link is not applicable for current project and/or issue type" but I have Parent Link as a configured field for my next gen project, and haven't specified an issue type in the search. Any tips for getting that to work?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
July 31, 2019

Hello @Kelsey Engbrecht

Can you try to search for related issues using the advanced search and referencing the parent link there?

Just like @Butch Mayhew mentioned:

parent = XYZ-123

I believe that, if you have Epics with child issues, the query above should work to return it.

About the parent link problem in the basic search, I would like to ask you to run it again > click in advanced to display the advanced query behind it and provide me with the query, so I can further investigate why it is not returning the error message.

Kelsey Engbrecht October 31, 2019

@Petter Gonçalves Thank you for following up, but my team has stopped using Jira.

Like Russ Schmidt likes this
1 vote
Bryce Carroll August 16, 2021

Honestly it's shocking how many features are absent from what is supposed to be a "NextGen" version of the Jira product. 

Three years later and there's no intuitive way to just add a column for "Associated Epic" or "Parent Epic" to see relationships between parent issue types and their epics, or for that matter if there are issues which do not have a parent epic. 

0 votes
Butch Mayhew July 5, 2019

As a follow up it appears that you can now use this functionality: Find the Next Gen Epic you'd like to search EX: XYZ-123

parent = XYZ-123

Now returns all the child issues that are a part of that Next Gen Epic.

Laura Bowers July 8, 2019

You can, but if you have the column “parent” displayed in your results, it will return empty

Like # people like this
John Chertok July 25, 2019

Also looking for an answer for this one - how to show the parent column in the result list?

Butch Mayhew July 25, 2019

@[deleted] I haven't found out how to do that yet, even on the csv export (all columns it doesn't show). 

Suggest an answer