For a kanban team, how can we identify tasks and stories by platform in rank order?

Benjamin Chait August 29, 2020

Hello! I haven't used a next-gen board much, so forgive me if this isn't entirely possible. 

I support a kanban team with multiple domains (backend, frontend, mobile-ios, mobile-android). Our "stories" can cover a single domain or sometimes all four domains; when we have a story with all four domains, we create at least one subtask per domain. 

Sometimes, one domain is ahead of another (eg. our mobile developers tend to be ready for work sooner, and occasionally start work before a backend developer is able to get to an issue). I'm hoping to build a JQL search (to add to a Confluence page) which identifies:

* Unassigned stories OR subtasks by "platform" (a field we use) in prioritized order

I think that we'd use "rank" for our prioritized order, but I'm noticing that subtasks don't seem to inherent the rank of their parent; do I need to constantly prioritize subtasks along side stories (so, double the work to prioritize) or am I missing a JQL trick to associate the parent stories rank?

Alternatively, is "rank" even the right use for this? 

(Our columns are: Backlog, Ready For Engineering, In Progress, Done.) 

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2020

Hi @Benjamin Chait 

Can I confirm the need here:

• Your project is a Next-Gen project
  • A Story is a deliverable piece of work
  • Sub-Tasks represent work per domain. There is at least one Sub-Task per domain listed against the Story.
  • Sub-Tasks can sometimes start before the Story / other Sub-Tasks, depending on the teams' availability
  • You need to represent issues per Platform (which isn't Domain?) - which are unassigned / not in progress - which are either the Story or a Sub-Task of one
  • Order the issues based on the Story's Rank

^ If this all correct:

• How is Platform represented across the Stories / Sub-Tasks?
  • How is Domain represented across the Stories / Sub-Tasks?
  • How is Domain related to the issue search?

It'd be good to clarify the above so I can try to locate a specific solution to your issue :)

Ste

Suggest an answer