Discarded issues at the end of a sprint best practices

Deleted user May 13, 2020

Hello,

I want to understand the best practice to handling discarded issues at a sprint's completion. Presently, when our team closes a sprint on a classic board, all issues that aren't in the status "Done" move to the next sprint or backlog based off the selection of the user. This is exactly what my team wants with the exception of issues with the status "Discard". We want discarded items to be captured as part of our sprint, but not move into the next sprint automatically.

Currently, our Discard status is a type of Done that also sets resolution to Done. My hope was that upon sprint completion, that all other issues move into a next sprint but Done and Discarded items.

Please advise and thanks for your guidance!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2020

Jira Software does not look at Resolution like Jira (core) does.  It looks at its "definition of done", which it sees as "the last column on the board".

Have a look at the board's column mapping.  For what you have said here, you need the status "Discard" and "Done" in the last column.

Deleted user May 14, 2020

Thanks, I was not aware this was the rule. My assumption was that unmapped statuses on boards that were a form of Done and also resolved would be accounted for at the close of the sprint. Are you aware of any options if we don't want to see discard on the board when it is done, but still want it in reports and to have the same behavior as Done as the end of the sprint?

Maité Arias August 10, 2021

Hi there! I have the same problem, could you solve it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2021

I'm sorry I missed Stephen's response.

The simple answer is that taking things out of the sprint cycle is not the right thing to do.  By far the best approach for "same behavior as Done as the end of the sprint" is to treat "won't do"/cancelled/binned/deaded/meh/etc as "done".

It does not matter if you do something like

• Some one creates a story
  • You size it at 20
  • You bring it into a sprint
  • You kill it, after doing little or no work.  

The easiest, cleanest and most honest thing you can do is close it as "done", because, well, it is done.  Someone asked for something to be done.  Someone looked at it and said "actually no, close it".  So it's done - it's been through the process, it's been looked at, it doesn't matter if you sized it at 20 and only spent 0.01 on it - it's been done because, well, it's done.  Report it as such

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events