Differences between Trello and Jira's Next-Gen Project?

Claire Shimizu September 23, 2019

We have users who have been using Trello in the past but our company only has Jira software.  

I am interested to find if there's a comparison documentation or overview between  Trello  and  Next-Gen (Jira).  It looks like Next-Gen is much closer to Trello than the Classic projects in JIRA.   

1 answer

3 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2019

Hello Claire,

Thank you for reaching out.

Unfortunately, we don't have yet an article describing what are the exact differences between JIRA Next-gen and Trello, however, I can confirm that both applications are very similar in the way it works.

In fact, the Next-gen design and functionality was very influenced by Trello Application, where our developers wanted to bring the simplicity of Trello and the power of Jira together, as mentioned in the article below:

Atlassian launches the new Jira Software Cloud

Apart from the similar design with Trello, Next-gen projects provide the same features as JIRA classic projects, however, with less/simpler customization options than the classic version. The related features that differentiate JIRA from Trello are:

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 15.09.40.png

Please, let me know if this information helps and if you have any specific question about both applications.

Suggest an answer