Custom Kanban board filter capability

Imran Ali October 11, 2022

Hi, I've spent far too much time trying to construct a custom JQL filter for our project's Kanban board - I'm no wiz but I'm wondering if it's even possible?

To work around the limited Epic to Story hierarchy (no Feature layer between), I'm using a custom dropdown field within my "Epic" (Feature) in order to identify what "Initiative" the "Epic" (Feature) relates to.  

I'm trying to construct a custom board filter that will only show those issues belonging to an Epic (Feature) with a particular drop down. That way I  can toggle through my "Initiatives" returning only those issues.

It allows me to select the parameters  e.g "Initiative[Dropdown]" = "Initiative A" but nothing is returned.

Can anyone help or shed some light please?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2022

Hello @Imran Ali 

Welcome to the community.

When applying a Custom Filter to a board (in a Team Managed project), that filter will be applied to ALL issues. The result is to display ONLY the issues that match the filter. If the specific issues you want to display don't themselves match the filter (don't have the Initiative field with a value of "Initiative A"), then they will not be displayed.

Currently Jira does not offer native functionality for displaying one set of issues based on criteria being specified for a set of related issues. That requires a third party app, and the functionality provided by such an app may not be available in the Custom Filter feature of a Team Managed Kanban board.

The Premium and Enterprise subscription plans for Jira include the Advanced Roadmaps feature which would allow you to extend the hierarchy of your issues upwards from Epic to add Initiative. It also provides some additional search functionality to help in searching for issues within that extended hierarchy. You can also find that hierarchy-extending functionality in third party roadmap apps if you don't want to use a Premium or Enterprise subscription.

Imran Ali October 12, 2022

Thanks for responding @Trudy Claspill . Can I clarify with you that Epics on their own don't pull through onto the Kanban board for tracking, only the issues contained within them?

So my filter based on a custom Epic field doesn't return anything even if an Epic matches the criteria because only the child issues (displaying the epic they belong to) pull through.

,image.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2022

For Team Managed projects Epics do not display as cards on the board view. They appear in the Epics filter above the card display.

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 9.12.27 AM.png

Like Imran Ali likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events