Create Workflows

Omer Farooq Chughtai July 23, 2018

How can I create workflows in JIRA online? I have created a new project in JIRA I believe I should be an administrator of that project. But, I am not able to create workflows.

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2018

Hello @Omer Farooq Chughtai,

It looks like you created an independent project, I'm afraid you can't edit their workflows yet. See this page:

Soon, independent project owners will set up their own custom issue types, workflows, and fields.

You can now set up custom issue types and Atlassian is releasing this week the ability to create custom fields in independent projects, but for now you can't set up custom workflows.

If you want to use a custom worfklow, you need to reach out to your Jira admin and build a new project.

Hope this helps!

- Manon

Martin Varga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2018

Excellent answer! You can also see this article for news about Agility projects.

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2018

Awesome, thanks @Martin Varga, I didn't know this article was regularly updated!

0 votes
Nisha Hajamohideen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2018

Do you have access to <Base URL>/secure/admin/workflows/ListWorkflows.jspa?

You can click on Add Workflow button to create a new workflow.  Or you can copy a default workflow and make changes as required and publish them.

Nathan Sturgess
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2018

Sorry this will not work for independent projects as their workflows are scoped to their project context and thus will not appear in the global settings. 

0 votes
Deleted user July 23, 2018

Hi @Omer Farooq Chughtai,

If you are a Project Admin and you do not have access to edit the project workflows it will most likely be due to the Jira Project sharing the workflow with another Jira Project or the workflow itself is not a "simplified workflow". 

If you need changes to your workflow you could work with your Jira/system Administrator to define what you require and see what they can do since they will have the correct permission level to edit workflows and create new ones that could be tailored to your requirements as a Project Admin.

Hope this helps

Nathan Sturgess
Atlassian Team
July 23, 2018

Currently users can't access or modify the workflow of an independent project, regardless of permission settings. This functionality is on our roadmap though. 

Omer Farooq Chughtai July 24, 2018

Can I create a workflow for a project that I have created.

Deleted user July 24, 2018

Apologies, @Omer Farooq Chughtai,

I did not factor in the use of the Independent Project. @Nathan Sturgess @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ are correct.

My previous answer does not apply at this time. @Nathan Sturgess you mention that it is on the product roadmap. Is there a ticket we can watch to monitor progress? 

Thanks Nathan & Manon

Deleted user July 24, 2018

Hi @Omer Farooq Chughtai,

Yes, you can build your own workflows, However, not for Independent project types.

Also, depending on your requirements for your workflows you may need Jira Administration permissions or work with your Jira Admin to build your workflow. 

Hope this helps

Nathan Sturgess
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2018

Re: " Is there a ticket we can watch to monitor progress?"

Sorry@[deleted] there isn't a public ticket. 

Deleted user July 25, 2018

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events