Cannot remove issue types task and subtask

Volker Tosch April 26, 2022

When setting up issue types for a team-managed project, I can create and delete newly created issue types. However, the already existing issue types "task" and "subtask" don't have the three dot icon that let's me access the command. How do I get rid of those issue types?

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2022

Hi @Volker Tosch  welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If you have issues that use that type, you'll have to change their type to something that you actually use in the project, or else things can break.

So, first create the new issue types, then bulk move the issue from the issue type(s) you would like to delete to the new issue type, then remove the old issue type(s).

Hi @Dave Mathijs thanks for the quick reply.

The project is empty ticket wise. I guess it has to do with the type of project (business project), I was able to remove those issue types when I made a software project. However I don't understand the rationale behind it.

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2022

To be honest, I never use team-managed projects. I just created a team-managed business project (Jira Work Management) and I don't see the option to delete the Task and Sub-task issue type either. Can't seem to find anything in the documentation related to deleting issue types.

It is documented here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/set-up-issue-types-in-team-managed-projects/ (at the very bottom), however, as you just recognized as well, the option is simply not there in this constellation.

Jonathan Appel July 5, 2022

I have this problem as well, however I'm unable to delete/remove any issue types in my team-managed project, even the ones I created myself. Same problem, missing the three dots.

Not sure if you can watch the network tab when you click the delete button on issue types you can do this for, I feel like this is a UI bug.

Suggest an answer